Hank Sullivan
Hank Sullivan, Technician
Experience:  23 yrs. experience in electronics repair- experience in both shop and field service
26076593

Im having problems with the sound on my Onkyo TX SR707. It

I'm having problems with the sound on my Onkyo TX SR707. It was working fine, and then a few days ago would turn on my Bravia TV and get a picture but no sound. I used the power button on the Onkyo to turn the unit on and off, and the sound would come back on. Today, I've tried all that, but no sound at all. I've tried using the receiver to listen to the radio, I've plugged in my iPod, I've tried watching a DVD -- nothing. The picture on the TV is fine. Just...no sound.
Category: TV
Expert:  Hank Sullivan replied 3 years ago.

Hank Sullivan :

Hello my name is Hank,

Welcome to Just Answer!
I can help you with your Onkyo

Customer:

Terrific!

Hank Sullivan :

I'm in the process of downloading your documentation, it's going slowly, I'll have in a couple of minutes and I'll be right with you, ok?

Customer:

Documentation? I read in one of the blogs that I should unplug the unit for at least 1/2 hour, so I've done that.

Hank Sullivan :

the first step is to do a factory reset to the Onkyo. this often resolves many issues. here is the reset procedure:
To reset the AV receiver to its factory defaults, turn
it on and, while holding down the [VCR/DVR]
button, press the [ON/STANDBY]

Hank Sullivan :

let me know if the problem still exists after the reset and we'll go from there

Customer:

I already did that twice. Still no resolution.

Hank Sullivan :

if there is no audio output after a reset, even from the internal tuner then it will likely be a service issue. assuming you have checked all the obvious settings , such as speakers set to "on" etc. . . how about your Headphone jack? have you ever used it? have you checked for audio with headphones?

Hank Sullivan :

if the switch is dirty it can cut out the output, if you plug and unplug into the headphone jack it can resolve this type of issue. otherwise it does require service for no output

Customer:

No. I will do that.

Customer:

OK, all I hear thru my headphones is a buzzing noise.

Hank Sullivan :

interesting. . . what if you change inputs? do you hear a "click" when you change? do any other inputs act any differently?

Customer:

When you say "change inputs", do you mean switch from DVD to TV to FM station?

Hank Sullivan :

yes

Customer:

OK. hang on...

Customer:

OK -- there was no clicking noises as I switched input. Buzzing in my headphones through all inputs except the radio.

Hank Sullivan :

ok, a couple of things. . what type of connections do you have going to the back of the receiver? are you able to disconnect all the inputs so you can do the same test to see if you have the same result? make sure to mark them if you are unsure of where they go when it's time to put them back.

Customer:

Aaaack! The back of the receiver is very busy. Wii, DVD player, cable and 9 speakers are plugged in there. I would have to physically move shelves and electronics around to access the back of the receiver. NOT an easy job.

Hank Sullivan :

ok, let's do a different test. although it still requires access to the back. .

Hank Sullivan :

are you using both A and B set of speakers?

Customer:

Um, I think so. I didn't set this up.

Customer:

As I think about it, A speakers are in the room, B speakers are outside. Does that make sense?

Hank Sullivan :

yes!, have you tried the outside?

Customer:

No. I'm not sure how to do that.

Hank Sullivan :

oh, there is a speaker switch for A or B ( i can look up the exact details if you need) and you may have a passive speaker switchbox also, this would be a box with push buttons for different rooms, it may need to have the outside button pushed in, then on the porch (or where ever the outside speakers are) there may be a volume knob at that location that has to be turned up. or

Hank Sullivan :

if you have a remote that was programmed specifically for your system, then there may be an option for "zone 2" or "outside" or something along those lines

Customer:

OK -- there's a Zone 2, but nothing changes when I push that button. Also, and this I find very curious, when I try to tune the radio, it just runs through all the stations without stopping as if there's no signal at all.

Hank Sullivan :

that is what happens when the antenna is disconnected. . .

Hank Sullivan :

also you have done the reset so if you had your inputs configured for certain connection types that were not standard from the factory then there are a number of things that may seem different after a reset.

Hank Sullivan :

when the unit is operating properly there should always be SOME sound coming out of the speakers when you are on the tuner input (once it stops on a station)

Hank Sullivan :

you may need to get behind at the very least to confirm that there is an FM antenna wire connected

Customer:

Well, it didn't stop at anything. I couldn't even MAKE it stop.

Customer:

Not at a station, at any event.

Hank Sullivan :

this is all pointing to a fault inside the unit. . . this would require shop service

Hank Sullivan :

the next step before bringing it in would be to disconnect inputs, then try again to see if the symptoms change. . .then

Customer:

Well, I know my TV has speakers. How do I remove all the auxiliaries so I can at least hear my TV? It seems as if the cable box is talking to the receiver.

Hank Sullivan :

start disconnecting speakers (one at a time, after you mark the wires) to see if the symptoms change.

Hank Sullivan :

ok, direct to tv. you can do that for temporary

Hank Sullivan :

use

Customer:

If I'm going to take it in for service, I will have to disconnect everything anyway.

Hank Sullivan :

yes,

Hank Sullivan :

are you using HDMI for cable to receiver? and is there an HDMI out from the receiver to the tv?

Customer:

Um, I think it goes from the TV to the cable box to the receiver. Does that make sense? And yes, it's HDMI.

Hank Sullivan :

possibly. . . there are MANY ways to connect these devices.

Customer:

I'm getting a picture just fine. Just no audio.

Hank Sullivan :

wait. .

Hank Sullivan :

do you still have a cable picture if you turn the Onkyo off? or does the picture go away when you turn the Onkyo off?

Customer:

It goes away.

Hank Sullivan :

then you have an HDMI from the cable box to the Onkyo, then an HDMI from the Onkyo to the tv, this is a common hookup

Hank Sullivan :

what is easiest for you to get to? can you get to the back of the tv and/or the cable box?

Customer:

So....the cable comes into the house, hooks into the cable box, which then runs to the Onkyo, which then runs to the TV?

Hank Sullivan :

no, sorry i wasn't clear. .

Hank Sullivan :

the actual coaxial "cable" from the cable company does come into the house and go to your box, then. .

Hank Sullivan :

an HDMI wire goes from the cable box to the Onkyo, then. .

Hank Sullivan :

an HDMI wire goes from the Onkyo to the tv

Customer:

:-D Isn't that just what I said?

Hank Sullivan :

oh, i thought you meant the coaxial wire running between all of these items. . .sorry

Customer:

And yes, I can get to both the back of the TV and the cable box.

Hank Sullivan :

ok, all you need is to get an HDMI connection from the back of the cable box directly to the back of the tv, without the Onkyo inbetween

Hank Sullivan :

so you will need either an extra HDMI wire which isn't already connected, or. .

Hank Sullivan :

you will have to get a connection out of the back of the Onkyo

Hank Sullivan :

either from the cable box, pull the other end out of the Onkyo - put it in the tv, or. . .

Hank Sullivan :

the one going to the tv, pull the other end out of the Onkyo and put it in the back of the cable box

Customer:

OK. I will work on that tomorrow. I had a contractor put a lot of the cables into the wall (the TV is on an arm) and I'm not sure I can just disconnect cables and re-route them. What you want me to do ultimately is connect the TV to the cable box and leave the Onkyo out?

Hank Sullivan :

that will give you picture and sound for cable only, and it will be a temporary solution until the onkyo is fixed.

Hank Sullivan :

if you want dvd you would have to do the same thing for each device you want to have the audio come out of the tv

Customer:

OK, it's a solution. Very frustrating having no sound. But main objective is having the TV talk. I can live without the other stuff for a bit.

Hank Sullivan :

good luck

Just a reminder, we do not get paid until you click the green ACCEPT button. If the information I have provided has been helpful then please consider my time as a valuable contribution to the resolution of your issue.

If I have helped you with your issue please click the green ACCEPT button.

Bonuses are greatly appreciated! If you can spare a moment, please leave Positive Feedback too!

Customer:

OK, thanks Hank.

Hank Sullivan :

let me know if you have any further questions! have a good night!

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Good night to you too!

Hank Sullivan :

Hank Sullivan, Technician
Experience: 23 yrs. experience in electronics repair- experience in both shop and field service