Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

We have a Sony Bravia KDL-46S4100. The TV will come on, but

We have a Sony Bravia KDL-46S4100. The TV will come on, but there is no picture or sound. The screen in just black. It blacked out after I pushed + channel on the remote.
Is this worth fixing?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using justanswer.
I`m going to help you with your tv but first i will have a few questions;

Can you see your tv`s menu ?
Are you connected with a cable box ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We cannot see the menu. We unplugged the TV and re-plugged it. We checked the outlets. No difference.

We have cable but we do not have a box. Our other TVs are working.

Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.
O.k then , any light or flashing light at the front ?
Any clicking sound when you plug the power in the tv or when you press the power button ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The green light comes on, and you hear a click when you push the power button.
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

O.k then it means that part of the main board is working and there is standby voltage.
At this point it looks like your power supply circuit may be defective.

I will get some info on that circuit in a few minutes but i`d like to know first;

As this will require taking the back cover off, do you wish to look into this yourself ?

Or would you just like to have an estimate of the repair cost in a shop ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We can take the back cover off, and try to do this ourselves. Is it very difficult? What are the repair costs in a shop?
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

Thats great if you can take the back cover off as it may give me a better idea of the problem.

I will upload a picture of the circuit i suspect the most and what to look for.
There is one question i forgot to ask though;
Did you have any difficulty lately to turn the tv ON ?
Any acting up ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The TV always turned on, but it seemed like it took longer for the picture to get full brightness.
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.
O.k then i will wait for you to message me once you have the back cover off.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Wel'll be right back, Jack.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jack,

We have all of the screws off, but the back still seems to be attached. It is loose at the sides. We don't want to put too much pressure to take it off. What should we do?

Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

It is hard for me to say without being there or having a visual but look closely where the input connectors are , there might be screws left there and also you may have to take the stand off.
To do that you will have to lay the tv flat on its face and then you can re-install the stand temporarily to work on it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay, we're doing it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay, we're doing it.

We've got the back off. What now?

Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

Great, as it seem there are 2 different version of your model,i will upload 2 pictures and i`d like you to tell me which one is in your tv ?

Power supply 1
graphic

Power supply 2
graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is Power Supply #1
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.
O.k then, be right back with another picture.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

Sorry it took a while to get back to you ,ended up locked on a previous post.

I have here another picture of your board and this time i circled and pointed to some capacitors.
I`d like you to look closely at them and tell me if some of them appear to have a slightly bulging/rounded top compare to others.

Their tops should be perfectly flat.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
All 7 are perfectly flat.
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

Was afraid of that !!

Then it means (most likely) that your power supply circuit is o.k .
Since this morning i found some other info about your model and the problem you described and it looks likely that the main board (A board)may be causing this problem.

I will show you this board and what it cost , be right back

Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

O.k i`ll start with your board part # XXXXX , this number can be used to search for suppliers.
And this is a picture of it (although you can see it now !) the price at this supplier and also where you can get it , click the link below;

http://www.e-techalltv.com/direct/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20722

There is a very good chance that you can just install that board and everything will be fine but since sony never do anything like the others, there may be some adjustments to make in the service menu, These adjustments are too complex to explain in the present context and you would need the help of a repairman familiar with sony products.
In any case you will save good money by buying it yourself, here is an example of what a repair shop may charge for the main board;
http://www.tvserviceparts.com/1-857-092-21.html

Be waiting for your questions.

Jack, Technician
Experience: 35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech