TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

my lg remote control is not working. volume only goes all

Customer Question

my lg remote control is not working. volume only goes all the way up to 100 or all the way down to 0 - can't stop it. have changed batteries. now even the controls on the side of the tv are not working either! changed volume that way a few times with the but now even that is not working right (same symptoms as remote now -- only goes all the way up or all the way down). The "input" button on the remote is also not working correctly, nor is the power button. HELP!

Tried a cold start on the TV - turned it off, unplugged, waited 5 minutes, started up.   Volume control on TV works, but remote does not.   As soon as volume was tried on remote, the volume control on the TV no longer worked.   Tried cold start twice with same reulst.
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

That's a system control failure most likely. Have you noticed if one thing repeatedly occurs even though you are not touching the remote or TV buttons? Like it changes channels up or down or the volume keeps turning up or down even when it's at it's extreme setting?

That' would be a stuck button if it did that, but your problem is related to a stuck micro.

Look on the left edge of your TV set for a "product service number" -- it's like your model number, but it has extra letters in it to tell us what boards were used in making the TV set.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I found this on the right edge, no numbers on the left. Hope it's what you need.
32LD350 - UB.CCCWLH
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

It is the number we need -- the part you need to replace if you have no stuck buttons and it's not repeatedly doing the same thing --

Part # EBU60850004

It's the main board with the system control circuits on it. When you recieve the board, get a blanket, lay it on a table, lay the TV face down, and remove the screws on the rear cover --disconnect the plugs on the board, remove the screws holding the board on the chassis and replace it.

Here is where you can get the board --

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=ebu60850004

Looks like the 50003 is supposed to be a compatible replacement too.

http://www.moduslinkptstvboards.com/Search.aspx?k=EBU60850004

Odd, this site popped up a Samsung board, but when I put in your part number it showed up -- Your LG may have samsung parts in it, but ALWAYS search a 2nd time with the LG number !

If it pops up again, then it's likely a VALID substitute, so remember that, ok?

http://www.discounttvparts.com/EBU60850003_p/cw-2310.htm

Shows the 50003 as a valid sub also.

http://www.encompassparts.com/products/?EBU60850004

Same here- I guess you can use the 50003 to replace it. I always prefer to use the ORIGINAL part number, not the sub when I search for parts. It keeps the substituting very concise, with no subbing the substitutes. You get too far away from the original part number and you end up with a part that doesn't work at all.

So check the sites for best price and availability and get one ordered.

If you have any questions, just ask

If you are finished, please press the ACCEPT button.

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This morning everything is working perfectly! (TV was NOT turned off overnight.)
Off/On, volume and 'Input' controls on remote all work as they should.

Is there any possibility that the problems were caused by a stuck key on a nearby laptop computer? This may sound like an odd question, but I have noticed quite often that screen windows change on our laptop computer very near the TV remote when the remote is used. And last night that laptop was having keyboard sticking problems (e.g. not able to type certain letters).
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Well, there is a possibility -- Infra-red keyboards do emit the same light as a TV's remote does and it can interfere with the remote's transmissions. Is that what you have? Wireless keyboard with your laptop??

Another thing to check -- Laptops do have Flourescent backlights as do LCD TV sets -- I have seen backlighting like that literally STOP the remote signal getting to the TV.

Simple test -- if you have those in your TV room and your TV starts misbehaving -- get the Keyboard into another room to see if the problem stops. With the laptop, simply close the lid and see if it stops. Last ditch scenario would be hiding the wireless mouse, but that's unlikely in my opinion.

I've not seen it myself, but one of the major manufacturers had problems with their own TV backlight flooding the reciever in the TV set and the TV would turn on, and do nothing else afterwards. They built a filter to fix that problem.

Now the side button controls can be affected too if there is a strong source of Infra-red lighting in your room, so look at anything that is wireless, anything that has a remote, anything that has flourescent lamps in it, and attempt to either turn it off when your TV misbehaves, or cover it/conceal it or remove it from your TV room to see if the problem disappears

.

The last resort is to replace that board, but....you want to verify the IR reciever is the source? Simply take some black tape and cover the reciever on the TV set. Block the TV's IR reciever and see if suddenly your side control buttons start working again.

However there is one more test too...You left your TV on overnight, right? Maybe your TV works fine when it's hot, and doesn't when it's cold. If you find your TV misbehaves only when you turn it on first thing, then you have to see if the problem occurs when it's cold.

Run those tests, and get back with me on the results, ok?

TV Tech1, Technician
Experience: 30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for all you've done. I've tried what you suggested and can't get the problem to reoccur. So will just keep all of the information you sent to review again when it does! It was definitely worth the price.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.
Ok, thank you