Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a ViewSonic NX2232w and the menu is locked (Idont know

Customer Question

I have a ViewSonic NX2232w and the menu is locked (Idon't know how it got that way). Could you please tell me how to unlock it? Thanks.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem.

-Sorry for the delay, do you still need assistance with this?

Please let me know.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I still need help. It is still locked.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.
When you say it is locked, what exactly is it doing?

Tim
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Every time I push any button on the remote, whether for volume, to change a channel, the input, the menu button - whatever - I get this message on the screen: "Menu Locked" - the only exception is the power. I can turn it on and off.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.
I have been unable to find a maual for this unit anywhere to find the unlock sequence. You do not have your owners manual any longer either?

Tim
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I can email you a pdf copy of the manual - but I do not have your address and this does not seem to allow attachments. I looked at it - there is a way to use parental controls to lock people out - but this seems to have locked everyone out. You can find the manual here: http://www.retrevo.com/support/Viewsonic-NX2232W-TVs-manual/id/5890ci272/t/2/

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.
Can you email it to [email protected] ? she can forward it to me.

Tim
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Done
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The manual is too big a file to email. Can I fax it to you???
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.
No need, I just got a hold of one, you are right though nothing useful in it. I cannot locate a service manual either. I am going to opt out and see if I can find another expert who has info on this one for you.

Tim
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I called the 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX help number listed in the manual. He said to press the volume-up key and the menu key on the television set at the same time and hold them down for 10 seconds. When we tried this the message changed to "power lock" and then back to "menu lock" - and the menu is still locked.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK - we got it. You have to press the volume-up button and the volume-down button at the same time. A green band will appear on the screen. As soon as you see the green band, you must immediately release the buttons, and that will unlock the menu - if you hold the buttons down for ten seconds, it will revert to "menu locked." I don't know why they couldn't have just put this in the manual. Thanks.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.
I am glad you got it working.

Tim
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just in case it should happen to someone else - the green bar fills completely, then you get a brief message - "menu unlocked" - then you must release the buttons immediately.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.
Thanks!

Have a good one.

Tim