Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Hello, 1) I want to use external speakers with my Samsung

1) I want to use external speakers with my Samsung LED TV Model UA55B6000VRXXT. I have connected the tv hdmi in to my receiver hdmi out, and set the tv menu to external speakers, but no sound.

The tv also has an audio out, but I thought this would not be needed if the hdmi connection was used? Does the tv audio out also have to be connected to audio in on the receiver? If so, do I use a y-adapter since the tv audio out is only one plug?

2) The tv has no headphone jack; how can I use headphones?

Thanks
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 5 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance...

Initially, post back with the brand and model of the receiver.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Benimur,

The audio-video receiver is a NAD T775
Expert:  Louie replied 5 years ago.
If the Samsung is directly connected to an antenna or cable feed without the use of a receiver or a cable box, then aside from the HDMI connection from the NAD to the TV, an additional connection is required; from the Samsung's DIGITAL AUDIO OUT to one of the NAD's DIGITAL AUDIO IN (OPTICAL). This method would allow multi-channel sound reproduction of HDTV audio on the NAD's speakers.

Alternately, if the Samsung has a pair of red & white L/R AUDIO OUT, then it would have to be connected to any unused red & white RCA jack pair of the NAD.

The reason is that the HDMI connection (in this particular case) is only one-way; i.e. from the NAD towards the TV.

The only time audio is feed backed into an AV receiver is when the TV and the receiver both has ARC feature (audio return channel) built-in in the HDMI port/connection..

In the absence of a regular headphone jack, the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT or the analog L/R AUDIO OUT may be used to drive a wireless headphone system.