Hank Sullivan
Hank Sullivan, Technician
Experience:  23 yrs. experience in electronics repair- experience in both shop and field service
26076593

Hi, I am trying to hook up my old Zenith TV to my ps3 using

Customer Question

Hi, I am trying to hook up my old Zenith TV to my ps3 using the av cables, and an rf adapter. It's not working. I get a channel that says aux but the screen is black. There's nothing on my remote that says input or source. (I don't know where the original remote is) Can you please help?
Category: TV
Expert:  Hank Sullivan replied 3 years ago.

Hank Sullivan :

Hello my name is Hank,

Welcome to Just Answer!
where do you have the PS3 wires going to on the tv?

Customer :

I am using a philips rf adapter because for some reason putting the av cables directly into the tv did not work. They are in the correct spots on the adapter.

Hank Sullivan :

are you using the composite a/v cables (yellow/white/red)?

Customer :

yes.

Hank Sullivan :

ok, it should work when connected to "AUX", but if you're not having any success and you want to use the RF adapter then you will need to get the tv to channel "3" or "4" what happens when you try the channel up button on the front of the tv itself?

Customer :

on the adapter it says "ant in" and "to tv" I do not have an antenna connected to the television, only cable. I also have a coaxial going "to tv"

Customer :

the screen is black on the aux channel

Hank Sullivan :

does your RF adapter have the Yellow/white/red plugs for an input and a coax for an output?

Customer :

yes. I can change the channel from aux to 3 using the up and down buttons on the front of the tv

Customer :

on the top of the adapter there is a switch from that says 3 on one side and 4 on the other what should it be on

Hank Sullivan :

wait, does this "adapter" have any yellow/white/red sockets on it?

Customer :

Ok, the ps3 comes with a composite a/v cable that goes to the console and the other end is red/white/yellow. From the ps3 to the adapter it is connected using these cables in the appropriate spots. Right next to this, connecting the adapter to the tv is a coax, to which I have attached a cable and connected to the tv and tightened accordingly. Next to this, where on the adapter it says "ant in" is another coax input. Here I have attached the coax from my comcast box to the adapter. Every spot on the back of the adapter is occupied. On my tv screen is a message from my cable saying my service was interrupted (I accidentally unplugged it from the wall). When I press the up and down buttons I can get to the aux channel from the 3 channel but the screen remains black.

Customer :

On the top of the adapter the switch is towards the three on the left.

Hank Sullivan :

ok, good. this is the right kind of device, it's a video to RF converter. does the "adapter" have a power supply? there should be a power cord connected to it as well. is this connected?

Customer :

Yes. there is no light indicating it is on however. There is a red bulb on top that says MOD.ON and it is NOT lit up. The PS3 is also on.

Hank Sullivan :

that's the first problem (maybe the only problem) the converter (adapter) should light up to show that it is on and converting video to RF channel (either 3 or 4) there is a problem with the power for this converter device

Hank Sullivan :

you may need to check the power connection, check whether or not this is the correct AC adapter for your video adapter, Check all the plugs at the socket to make sure there is a good connection

Just a reminder, we do not get paid until you click the green ACCEPT button. If the information I have provided has been helpful then please consider my time as a valuable contribution to the resolution of your issue.

If I have helped you with your issue please click the green ACCEPT button.

Bonuses are greatly appreciated! If you can spare a moment, please leave Positive Feedback too!