Hank Sullivan
Hank Sullivan, Technician
Experience:  23 yrs. experience in electronics repair- experience in both shop and field service
26076593

why is it that my Sony Bravia flatscreen Tv has no sound on

Customer Question

why is it that my Sony Bravia flatscreen Tv has no sound on certain channels but has picture?
Category: TV
Expert:  Hank Sullivan replied 3 years ago.

Hank Sullivan :

Hello my name is Hank,

Welcome to Just Answer!
I can help you with your Sony TV

Hank Sullivan :

Are you using a cable or satellite box?

Customer :

Thanks my husband knows more about the tv and he is in the bedroom hold on....

Hank Sullivan :

ok

Customer :

it is a cable box

Hank Sullivan :

is it always the same channels that have no sound? how long has this been happening? do those same channels have sound on any other sets in the house?

Customer :

it just happened about 30 minutes for the first time. My tv in another room is not having problems

Hank Sullivan :

what is your connection type? Are you using an HDMI cable from the box to the TV?

Customer :

we have an HDMI cable.

Hank Sullivan :

ah, I see. there may be a firmware update that can resolve this issue, hang on while I retrieve your documentation. . I'll be right with you. . .

Hank Sullivan :

which number of HDMI input are you using for cable 1,2,3, or 4?

Customer :

we dont know

Customer :

we have had the tv for probably 3 years. no problem till now

Hank Sullivan :

when you first turn on the tv, it will display the input name in the top left corner (example: HDMI 3)

Hank Sullivan :

this is quite common with HDMI connections, audio issues, intermittent audio etc

Customer :

he is going to try. We had unplugged it so it will take a few minutes

Hank Sullivan :

ok

Hank Sullivan :

unplugging it may resolve the issue temporarily

Hank Sullivan :

you may want to remove the HDMI cable from the back of the tv and insert it into a different HDMI port

Customer :

HDMI3

Hank Sullivan :

Sony does have a firmware update that mentions a fix for some audio issues

Customer :

we also have a dog that may have stepped on the remote

Hank Sullivan :

it's unlikely that the remote would have an effect on some channels and not others

Hank Sullivan :

I can link the Sony page that has the download for firmware. . hang on. .

Hank Sullivan :

here is the Sony firmware update page http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=KDL37XBR6 if you have a USB flash drive, then you can download the file, follow the instructions for unzipping the files, then install the USB into a USB service port on the tv to load the firmware

Customer :

it seems when my husband turned it back on it started to work again

Hank Sullivan :

yes, that makes sense

Hank Sullivan :

it will work again maybe for quite a while, maybe for only a short time

Hank Sullivan :

you can wait until it happens again, then go to the sony page and get the new firmware

Hank Sullivan :

next time, just turning off and turning back on either the cable box or the tv may restore the audio

Hank Sullivan :

Just a reminder, we do not get paid until you click the green ACCEPT button. If the information I have provided has been helpful then please consider my time as a valuable contribution to the resolution of your issue.

If I have helped you with your issue please click the green ACCEPT button.

Bonuses are greatly appreciated! If you can spare a moment, please leave Positive Feedback too!

Hank Sullivan :

If you continue to have audio issues that begin to become aggravating, you can choose to switch your cable box wires from an HDMI to a Component cable and that will also resolve the issue in a permanent fashion

Hank Sullivan :

also, it's never a bad idea to give the cable box a reset, they do need to be reset at times and it can help resolve certain issues