Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

Sanyo HDTV wont stay on

We have a 52" Sanyo HDTV. The TV does not have a picture, and keeps turning itself off and on every 30 seconds. All the settings are the same as yesterday. The TV has performed great since we purchased it in 2009.
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

So sorry for the long wait. Do you still need assistance with your TV? If so, is this something you want to repair yourself or are you just trying to get an idea about how much a repair will cost?

Kindest regards,
Dan T.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I still need help. I would like to fix it myself or get an estimate
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok, the first thing you need to do is remove the rear panel. Then have a look at the capacitors on the power supply. The power supply will be the first board you'll run into if you trace the input power cord. Are any of the caps domed on top, bulging, or leaking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
None of the diodes seemed to be blown.What's next?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
I didn't want you to check the diodes... we need to look at the capacitors. Are any of them bulging or swollen, like in these pictures? Even worse, are any leaking?
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dan,

None are domed or leaking....

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok, thanks.

Standing at the TV's rear, do you see a large board on the left hand side with a large heatsink or two on it? With the TV unplugged, I need you to unplug that board (scan drive board) from the power supply. Now plug the TV back in and try to turn it on. You definitely won't be able to get a picture on the screen, but does the TV stay powered on or does it shut off like it was when you posted this question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dan,

What does the heatsink look like?.....

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
The board should look something like this... but vertical.
graphic

Again, it'll be on the left side of the TV when viewed from the rear. Unplug it from the power supply board then turn the TV on.

Is it still shutting off?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes,.. It stayed on for 5 seconds, then turned off....
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok, plug that back in. Now you see a similar looking board on the right hand side? Do the same... unplug it from the power supply board, then try to turn the TV on. Let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dan,

It does. I just unplugged it, and the TV doesn't turn on at all now......

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hmmm.. do you have a voltmeter handy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No... I don't...

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
At this point, there are a few possible issues... the power supply, the main board, the scan drive or sustain board... or maybe (probably not) the plasma panel itself. It's tough to say for sure without making measurements inside.

Consider having a technician take a look. Some diagnostics shouldn't run more than $50-$75, but that would be put toward the final bill should you decide to have it repaired. A typical repair here would be $350-$550 depending on the full diagnosis.

If you can borrow or purchase a multimeter, let me know and we can work on this some more.

More questions? Just ask. If not, please click "ACCEPT" and leave me positive feedback! If you don't plan to leave positive feedback, please do not click "ACCEPT." Instead, please let me know what else I can do for you!

Kindest regards,
Dan T.

Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.