Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech

Ive had a philips 40PFL3705D/F7 for about a year with no problems.

Customer Question

I've had a philips 40PFL3705D/F7 for about a year with no problems. Today when we turned it on all we got was sound. The screen is just a dark grey. I can change chanels and hear the different programs but can't see a thing.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

Jack :

Hi and thank you for using justanswer.
I`m going to help you with your tv but first i will have a few questions;

Jack :

While there is no picture can you see a faint light on the screen ?
Any difference (on the screen) between on and off ?

Jack :

I will wait for a while(standby) to see if you become available for chat, just send me a reply ,and i will be notified and be with you ASAP.

Customer :

yes, when it's off it's black but when it's on it's more of a grey.

Jack :

hello, can you give me a minute ?

Customer :

yup

Jack :

thank you

Jack :

Can you see the tv`s menu ?

Customer :

nope, everything is grey. i can't even see the chanel numbers

Jack :

O.k then there is 2 circuit that could cause that problem, one is the main board and the other is the lcd controller board (tcon)

Jack :

We could try a test if you have a flashlight

Jack :

??

Customer :

k

Jack :

Also,have you tried to unplug it for a few minutes ?

Jack :

That unplug the power cord ?

Customer :

i did unplug it but i didn't leave in unplugged for very long

Jack :

No thats o.k then

Jack :

Do you have that flashlight ?

Customer :

yup

Jack :

O.k set your tv on a channel(with sound) and press the flashlight directly against the screen and look around the edges to see if there might be some sort of picture in there ?

Jack :

move it around as it might be hard to see.

Customer :

nope

Jack :

o.k then i`m afraid the next step would be to pull the back cover off !!

Customer :

i really don't want to dig into it that much tonight

Jack :

Thats o.k , that could wait until tomorrow if you want to look into this yourself ??

Customer :

i might if i can't get the company to give a little leeway on the warranty. I'm just over a year. i dont want to tear into it myself i can get them to cover it

Jack :

Yes you could try that first !
Many company will go the extra mile/inche ?

Jack :

jUST LOOK INTO THIS AND LET ME KNOW .

Jack :

Sorry for the caps

Customer :

k

Jack :

what i can do is switch this chat to standard Q&A mode and you will get an email with a link to get back to me once you are ready.

Customer :

sounds good, thanks

Jack :

O.k then goodnight and check your emails

Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

We are now in Q&A mode.

Be waiting for your reply.