PramitP, Technician
Experience:  Diploma in Electrical and Electronics from AVV University

hi my LG 50 inch plasma tv keeps turning off after about 5

hi my LG 50 inch plasma tv keeps turning off after about 5 secs. It was working fine two days ago, and then it got a pink distorted band across the bottom and then it turned itself off, it keeps doing it now, the TV is not even 2 years old
Category: TV
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.

First of all welcome to Justanswer. My name is Pramit. Before I start, have you tried unplugging the TV for 4-5 hours? Does it stay long enough so that the picture appears?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hi as I've said it gets turned off at the wall every night, it stays on long enough for the picture and then it goes off, however the band is still across the bottom, so you can only see the top half of the picture

Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
Does it happen with playing video with various inputs(Component, HDMI, composite etc)?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no it wont allow it to change to another input, because it doesn't stay on long enough to change it to another input, I just tried and it keeps turning off, and now it's turning itself back on as well

Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
Let's start with basic troubleshooting. Remove all the connections and plug only the power cord. Turn the set on and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, done that, however it still does the same thing, it turns itself off straight away now, without any picture at all, the only thing on the screen is the band across the bottom of the TV, it stays on for about 5 seconds
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
The band stays on the black sceen too(sounds scary)?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yep, so when the tv is turned on, the red lamp(power) turns to blue, the black screen is on and there is a pink/blue/white band across the bottom of the screen, from when the blue lamp goes on it's about 5 secs b4 it turns off. So I'm assuming that it's gonna have to be taken to the repairman or is it totally stuffed. It pisses me off because it's not even 2 years old and of course it only has 12 months warranty
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
Let me explain briefly. There could be three things. One is a power supply problem due to which the TV shuts down. Second, the main board and/or buffer boards are usually responsible for bands on screen. Third, of which I'm most scared of is a faulty panel. If it is the panel, then you should call up LG and ask them to replace for free because the set is as good as new. A panel lasts around 5-7 years. 2 years is hard luck. The cost of panel is almost the cost of the TV itself. When you call, ask the customer care representative to transfer your call to the supervisor. Tell him that you've been a loyal customer to LG and now this has happened. If they won't consider your case you would never buy LG again and would never recommend anyone either. Usually if it less than 2 years, most companies give a fair concession on the panel. If you have any other queries then I would be glad to assist you further.

Please click the green ACCEPT button if you like my help. Please DO NOT ACCEPT IF you wish to leave a NEGATIVE FEEDBACK.
Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always appreciated
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks I appreciate you help, I was hoping that it was something that I could fix myself, but as per my luck, no joy. Thank you very much for you help and time

Kind Regards