Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

my vizio wont turn on.

my vizio won't turn on.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-When you plug it in or turn it on, does it do anything at all? (light blink, click noise, etc.)
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your quick response... guess I'll start from the beginning.... The set was on while I was in another room, I noticed the sound had stopped, I went back into the room and the picture was on, I tried to raise the volume and it showed on the screen but no sound emitted. I tried other channels and result was the same. The mute button wasn't on. I tried turning off and on, and the neither picture or sound returned, makes no sound and nothing appears on the screen. Purchased in Oct 2007. Have been thru troubleshooting with both cable and VIZIO over the phone.

Sheri

There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set. IF the power supply had to be replaced you could be looking at $250-300

Next could be the main board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $300-$400 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over the cost of a new set)

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. You pretty much confirmed what I suspected... There wasn't a power failure, because I was working with my computer at the time... I have some experience with troubleshooting (with cell phones), but not physically like an electrician would, if that's what you mean. I do have some tools, what would I need?
You would need a meter capable of checking DC voltage and resistance.

Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think I have a voltage meter, but would I be working with live electricity?

Sheri

Yes most definitely, if you are not comfortable with that then I understand, you will need a tech at that point.

Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok. I was looking for the tool, true, not comfortable with it. The Vizio is kind of big, so how do I find a qualified tech in the Reno NV area that might make a housecall?

Sheri

I would use www.tvrepairpros.com to find a shop near you.

Tim