Ron, Technician
Experience:  I am an electronics technician with 40+ years experience in consumer electronics repair.
15364805

My RCA TV screen goes black after a brief time when I turn

Customer Question

My RCA TV screen goes black after a brief time when I turn it on. The power supply is fine the on light stays lit. This happened once before about 3 weeks ago but after fiddeling with the remote I was able to bring it back.
Category: TV
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties but I am here to help. Keep in mind the answers I give depend entirely on the responses you give in return. So please be insightful and patient and maybe together we can solve your problem. Realizing the answers may not be pleasant for you to hear but you are requesting my expertise and I hope you will honor your good faith promise.

Are you using an HDMI cable?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ron,

No. We are not.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how's it going Ron?
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.

Please tell me how your signal is coming to your tv. Is it a converter? Is it coming directly into the tv? Is it terrestrial? Remember my answers can only be as effective as the question is posed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's a cablevision HDTV box. The picture comes through and you can see programming for about a second, but then the screen goes black. It is the same if I try to view any other source (gaming console, etc) This had happened a few weeks back but I was able to correct it by fiddleing with the remote.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.

It is apparent now that you have a television problem. Could be explained by the inverters not able to continue to provide enough energy to keep the display illuminated or it could be the display itself telling the system control to shut the set down because it is malfunctioning. Inverters can be observed they are the boards to the left and right of the display and are attaching to the backlight connectors, but if the problem is the display it usually becomes cost prohibitive. Thank you for allowing me to answer your question. Please accept as this is how I get paid and consider leaving positive feedback. Do not hesitate to ask if you are in need of further assistance.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Ron, The set does not lose power as the power light remains on when the screen goes blank..
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.

You will note in my previous answers I was not blaming the initial power supply system. What I just described to you is the inverter power supply system.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm just wondering why the problem was able to be corrected the last time this happened.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.

Without getting very lengthy with the processes it takes to illuminate the display on your product. Let me just say that the inverter power supplies must be operational to provide current and excitation voltage for the backlight portion of the display. They can actually illuminate the display but when not able to provide enough current flow will de-illuminate the display intermittently and it can even be a result of the display itself momentarily failing and the main signal board shutting the set down. Without specific voltage checks and a proficient knowledge of DVM techniques I am just giving you what is possible. Fiddling with a remote control however long did not technically address the resolve.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So what is the best way to resolve this problem?
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.

The next procedure requires you to take the back off and take some voltage measurements when the set fails. If you do not have the tools and are not proficient with a DVM I would suggest taking it to a professional servicer for diagnosis.