Hank Sullivan
Hank Sullivan, Technician
Experience:  23 yrs. experience in electronics repair- experience in both shop and field service

My Toshiba TVs power light is blinking but I cant get a picture.

Customer Question

My Toshiba TV's power light is blinking but I can't get a picture. I did unplug it and leave it off for 5 mins but it still blinks. What can I try next?
Its a few years old and its a plasma tv I believe.
Category: TV
Expert:  Hank Sullivan replied 3 years ago.

Hank Sullivan :

Hello my name is Hank,

Welcome to Just Answer! I can help you with your Toshiba TV. I will need the model number to advise you accurately and if you have the blinking light on certain models we can get it going again, but the tv will have be taken down. let me know if you can do this and I will advise you on the next steps to take

Customer:

Model # XXXXX and it's taken down now.

Hank Sullivan :

Great. There is a circuit board that has gone bad on the tv. It's no longer available, but you can have yours rebuilt if you choose to go that route. There is a way to bypass the current shutdown condition, but you will lose a few inputs. Many customers have chosen to do this instead of having the set repaired. You will lose out on your ANT inputs (cable and antenna tuning) and your "composite" inputs (the yellow/white/red inputs) You will still be able to use the Component ("color stream") inputs and HDMI. Do you want to follow some simple instructions to see if you can restore the operation of the tv partially or do you want information on having the circuit board repaired or replaced (if available)?

Customer:

lets go with the restore partially route

Hank Sullivan :

Ok, there is a small rectangular door on the back of the tv (about 1.5" by 1") held in by only one screw. go ahead and remove it to reveal the service plug ( you actually don't need the service plug but you will be removing a connector directly next to it) make sure the tv is not plugged in at this time. let me know when the door is open. I'll wait

Customer:

sorry for delay but I'm by myself and have to go upstairs to get to the tv. I took off the cover off but it has two screws and I can see a small piece of pcb and some components.

Hank Sullivan :

good. Just to the right of the "service socket" which that door was intended to reveal, you will see (if you look in from the left, toward the right) a small, removable connector, I believe it is labeled "PJ 63". using a small tweezers, or a curved tip hemostat (if you have one) you need to remove this connector from its socket. if you do not have any of these tools you may use a small jewelers screwdriver to gently pry one end then the other, effectively rocking the connector until you have removed it entirely from the socket. Do this and you will be able to power on the tv and use component and HDMI inputs only, but at least you will have a working tv. let me know if you are having any difficulties, and if you can't get at this way then go ahead and take all the screws out of the back cover, and you can just pull the plug out by hand, but using this door you will have located the exact plug you need to pull so it's easier to find when the entire back of the tv is off.

Just a reminder, we do not get paid until you click the green ACCEPT button. If the information I have provided has been helpful then please consider my time as a valuable contribution to the resolution of your issue.

If I have helped you with your issue please click the green ACCEPT button.

Bonuses are greatly appreciated!

Customer:

will try it now

Customer:

It did work thank you. I took wrong connector off and bent the pins so I had to take complete back off and straighten every pin back.

Hank Sullivan, Technician
Experience: 23 yrs. experience in electronics repair- experience in both shop and field service