Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.

Where do i find the WEP Passphrase to connect my vizio to my

Where do i find the WEP Passphrase to connect my vizio to my wireless internet?
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about your TV. I will try my best to give you a precise and accurate answer.

Whoever set up the router should have given you the code (I'm assuming that it wasn't you). Some cable/internet providers will put a small label on the router or the cable modem. Have you looked there?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have a router from AT&T Uverse wireless with access point being 2Wire998. The IP address is 192.168.1.254. On the Modem/router box is the network key: XXXXXXXXXX and the system password: XXXXXXXXXX Tried both of those for my WEP Passphrase. Neither worked. Got message saying "not connected"

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.

The network key is the one to use.

So there has to be some other issue here.

Is your TV seeing the correct network i.e. the correct SSID, your SSID? For example, I can see three of my neighbors' routers from my home.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes... the 2WIRE998 is the correct SSID
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.

Well...that's odd.

We can get into the router and check that the tech wrote down the correct key.

The system password XXXXX XXXXX getting into the router. Click here and log into your router using the system password: http://192.168.1.1

Let me know if you can get in.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can't get in... the number on the tower from AT&T is 192.168.1.254. Shouldn't i use that one?

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.

Yes. Sorry.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i keyed that in and got to the yahoo search site. Now what?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.

Yahoo? No, you should be at your login page for your router.

Click here: http://192.168.1.254

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok.. i'm in.. now what?

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
Cool...ok so I am not familiar with that router so you need to find the WEP settings. Look through the menus and tabs for the pass phrase.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Clicked on system password XXXXX is now asking for a password. i loaded in the system password XXXXX on the router.. and now its asking me to set a new password. Don't think that is what i want.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
No that's not it. Umm...is there a model number on that router. I'll see if I can find a manual.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is an apparent # : 3800HGV-B. It is the AT&T Uverse router used for both tv, phone, and internet. the Access point is: 2WIRE998

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
It's under Home Network tab - then Wireless Settings.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
that is the model number. 3800HGV-B
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
I know. I have the manual. The passcode is under the Home Network tab - the Wireless Settings.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes.. used it. Didn't work when i loaded it in the WEB Passphrase box on my Vizio.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the password # XXXXX: XXXXXXXXXX I loaded it in when i first tried to get the internet working on the Vizio. Just goes back to Wireless Access Points
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.

The TV may not like WEP.

Turn off Wireless Security and see if the TV will connect.

Steve G., Technician
Experience: VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yet it is asking for the WEP. So what's the answer?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.

I don't know.

I am going to opt out of this question which will allow other experts to chime in.

You need a network guy.

Hold on.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I went to "Change Settings" on Vizio and see a different IP address. i'm going to change it to the AT&T IP address and see what happens.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
after loading the IP change I tried connecting.. and got : "Cannot connect"
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok... went to change settings... after trying to connect. went back to "change settings" and saw that all of the settings were reset to "0". i found under settings the broadband settings for AT&T. Loaded them to the Change settings on Vizio. left the DHCP to "off". Tried to connect. Got the same message: "cannot connect". Tried switching the DHCP to "on" again.. went back to trying to connect with no success. Went back to "Change Settings" to find that the settings again were all reset to "0". So discouraged here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello? Anyone there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I need to retire tonight. You do have my email address. When one of you can respond, please let me know when tomorrow we can again talk. It will be better for me around 5pm Pacific Coast Daylight time. Need help. Hoping that you all would have the answer as to how I connect the internet to my Vizio flat screen tv.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Back again for a half hour. Anyone there who can help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my initial problem was never solved. Should still be covered i would think