bluextc89
bluextc89, Technician
Experience:  Small Business Owner.
22516588

sanyo tv power wont work

All of a sudden our sanyo tv power just turned off. Everything else is still on. We have tried unplugging it for a few hours and nothing seems to work. We have a sanyo dp50747 purchased in July 2007.
Category: TV
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for stopping by.

When you say it turned off - did the screen turn black? Or did you lose the sound as well?
Are there any (blinking or solid) lights on the front panel?

Are you able to successfully use other inputs on the TV?

What is hooked up tou your set currently, and what cabling are you using?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It just turned completely black as if we had switched it off. There are no lights on anywhere.
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 3 years ago.
Ok - thanks for that.

This is a problem with your power supply board.

If there was a voltage spike (and the set was not on a surge protector) the likeliest failure is the onboard (soldered in most cases) fuse.

Another thing that can happen on these sets is premature failure of a capacitor or capacitor bank. This is typically from poor circulation, and overheating. And is evident by swollen, ruptured, or burned capacitors - resulting in them not being able to store the proper voltages to power up the set.

The "GOOD" news is that this is one of the cheapest repairs possible on your set.

Most shops will have a $40 (or so) diagnostic fee. This is the cost to disassemble the unit and check voltages and integrity of the circuits. Once you are presented with a quote - and repair the set - the diagnostic fee is deducted from the bill.

Other shops have a $200 flat rate repair for power supply failure. This includes the components necessary to repair your board. If your board is un-repairable (burned/cracked traces etc) look at spending another $70-$150 on a replacement power supply depending if new, used, or refurbish board is sourced. (See an example HERE)

The part number for the power supply is PSPF561A01A but there are a few different revisions - so the board must be checked to match it exactly.

You can see one fuse in the following picture of the SUB power filter board. (white under plug port)

graphic

If you have additional - Just Ask.

Thanks!

P.S. If you're capable of removing the power supply - CLICK HERE for an eBay seller that will repair your board for about $100. Might be even cheaper locally - if you only take in the power supply to have repaired.

bluextc89, Technician
Experience: Small Business Owner.