Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  12+ years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

my panasonic tv will not turn on from standby mode

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.

Electronics Pete :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,
I am Pete, a TV expert.

Electronics Pete :

How old is your Panasonic TV?

Electronics Pete :

Have you left it unplugged from the mains for at least 15 minutes before trying to turn it on?

Customer:

its 6 weeks old no i havent tried that, but its strange because i just switched it off last night from the button on the tv and when i tried to switch it back on 30 minutes later it went straight onto standby

Electronics Pete :

Does the standby light stay lit, or does it blink?

Customer:

stays lit, im pretty sure its red and not orange

Electronics Pete :

Ok, can you first try a reset by leaving the TV turned off at the mains for 15 minutes, then try turning it on again?

Electronics Pete :

If this does not work, then I'm afraid you have a problem with the power supply module inside the TV.

Customer:

ok will you wait???

Electronics Pete :

This is unusual for a new TV, but luckily you will be covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

Electronics Pete :

Yes, I can wait until you try that out

Customer:

unplug it completely ??

Electronics Pete :

Turning it off at the mains switch is fine.

Electronics Pete :

You can unplug it to make sure it is disconnected if you wish.

Customer:

ok thanks pete

Electronics Pete :

You can try reconnecting and powering on your TV now.

Customer:

hey Pete it still dosent work

Electronics Pete :

Ok, then this confirms that the power supply module inside the TV has failed.

Customer:

is that a deffinate ?

Electronics Pete :

Yes, that is a definite, and quite a common problem in modern TV sets, usually caused by either faulty components or poor solder joints.
You will need to contact the retailer to get the TV repaired or replaced under warranty.

Customer:

thanks for you help mate, have a good weekend

Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience: 12+ years experience installing and repairing electronics.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pete are you still there?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I need to ask you one more question please

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Yes, go ahead...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Something strange just happened, i have exactly the same model tv in the bedroom that is only connected to the power supply as i have not had time to drill the holes in the wall to connect the ariel or the cable supply, previously when i turned on the bedroom set it would come up with the menu and no picture obviously, i tried turning it on and it is also in standby mode exactly the same as the living room tv that i initially contacted you about.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Ok, then I'm afraid that this may indicate the damage to the power supply boards has been caused by a power surge. Have you had any power cuts or thunderstorms recently?
The circuitry on the power supply board is sensitive and can easily be damaged by power surges. Using a surge protection adapter will prevent this damage occurring in future.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What do i do to remedy this, shall i still call panasonic midweek ??

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
If your TVs are both new, then yes you should contact the retailer in the first instance, or contact Panasonic directly if this is not possible.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your help its appreciated gl
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for using the JustAnswer service!