Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

My RCA Scenium HDTV power light is flashing and the TV will

My RCA Scenium HDTV power light is flashing and the TV will not power on. It make a whinning noise, like it is trying to come on.where is the lamp door?
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Is this whining noise a new thing? Is it very loud, like it's screaming at you? High pitched?

Kindest regards,
Dan T.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The sound has been going on for a number of years. The sound is not loud but very audible. Not a high pitched squil.
Ok, that's your color wheel... and as long as it's not really screaming at you, don't worry about it. Yes, it should be audible... "whirrrrr" or "wheeee" are fine.

Can you hear the TV trying to light the lamp? Fizz/click?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Those are the sounds I'm hearing.
Ok, what's the full model number of your TV?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hdlp50W151YX3

E213C401P a

Ok, thanks.

Your TV needs a new lamp, which is actually good news. I say "good" because this is totally normal. The lamp is a consumable part, much like the light bulbs in your home... and just like a light bulb, the lamp is user-replaceable.

Go to dlplampsource.com or encompassparts.com and enter the TV's model number. The lamp should run you about $180 to have it shipped pre-installed in the housing. You'll be able to save $30-$50 by ordering the bulb by itself (no housing), but take my advice and spend the extra money; it'll make install much easier.

Please don't go to eBay or similar, and if the website has "cheap" in the title, it's bad news. Don't try to save money on this, trust me. Much less than the $180 I quoted you, and you're buying a counterfeit or factory reject, guaranteed. OK?

Your user's guide should have replacement instructions. Let me know if you get stuck.

More questions? Just ask. If not, please click "ACCEPT" and leave me positive feedback! If you don't plan to leave positive feedback, please do not click "ACCEPT." Instead, please let me know what else I can do for you!

Kindest regards,
Dan T.