How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Dan Your Own Question

Dan
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Category: TV
Satisfied Customers: 6985
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671
Type Your TV Question Here...
Dan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

sylvania 32 LC320SL1 HDTV tv, will not turn on, stays in standby

Resolved Question:

sylvania 32 LC320SL1 HDTV tv, will not turn on, stays in standby mode with both red and green light illuminated
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Have you noticed anything strange before this? Maybe taking a long time to turn on? Clicking?

Kindest regards,
Dan T.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no I turned it off at night and it will not turn on
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Unplug the TV and let it sit for a couple minutes... then plug it back in. Do you hear a "click"? Now try to turn it on... do you hear another "click"?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is a click when I press the on button on the tv
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

Let's try a couple things so we can narrow this down. Make the room as dark as possible, and turn the TV on (so you hear that click). Though the screen is black, can you see a faint glow coming from it, like the backlight is working? It might appear dark gray.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The picture tube remains black and the click I hear is actually on button not the set

 

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok, so there is no audible "click" when you press the power button? The click would come from inside the TV.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is correct there is no audible click

 

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok, thanks. Now, would you feel comfortable accessing the TV's innards affect repair? If so, what kind of test equipment and training do you have? Or would you rather discuss the possible issues and repair estimates?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I would like to know the possible issues and repair costs. I have no equipment or training with TV innards, though I am a very quick learner
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok, no problem... 95% chance you have a bad power supply board, 5% bad main board. We could really dig around inside and make some voltage measurements, but the odds are definitely in your favor to replace the power board. The power board for your TV should run about $75, but that would depend on exactly which version you have. A total repair bill would run $250 or so. If you want to replace it yourself, go ahead and remove the TV's rear panel (screws) and trace the input power cord to a circuit card... that's the power supply. The card will come out of the TV easily, just screws and cables. Be sure to get the part number from the board itself so you know you're ordering the right one, ok? Encompassparts.com has new ones, moduslinkptstvboards.com has refurbs usually.

More questions? Just ask. If not, please click "ACCEPT" and leave me positive feedback! If you don't plan to leave positive feedback, please do not click "ACCEPT." Instead, please let me know what else I can do for you!

Kindest regards,
Dan T.

Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Category: TV
Satisfied Customers: 6985
Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
Dan and 5 other TV Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

 
 
 
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... Justanswer.com.
JustAnswer.com...has seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like justanswer.com/legal
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
 
 
 

What Customers are Saying:

 
 
 
  • I'm screaming your praises!! WOW! I plugged my TV in and bammo! The picture came on bright and beautiful. What a relief! YOU saved me some money and headache. VM United States
< Last | Next >
  • I'm screaming your praises!! WOW! I plugged my TV in and bammo! The picture came on bright and beautiful. What a relief! YOU saved me some money and headache. VM United States
  • I love this site! $9 instead of a repairman or new/used frig can't be beaten. This older woman will worry less now that she knows about this site. Bless you all. Windy USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY
 
 
 

Meet The Experts:

 
 
 
  • TV Tech1

    Technician

    Satisfied Customers:

    4800
    30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
< Last | Next >
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/TV/TVTech1/2013-3-25_625_TECH1Nobanner.64x64.jpg TV Tech1's Avatar

    TV Tech1

    Technician

    Satisfied Customers:

    4800
    30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/OR/OriginalSeadog/2011-7-22_191917_ProfilePicture.64x64.jpg Rod's Avatar

    Rod

    TV & Communications Sys Repair

    Satisfied Customers:

    2354
    FCC Commercial License, Previous owner of Electronics Repair shop, 40+ years in electronic systems.
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/benimur/2009-03-29_003401_id_2.jpg Louie's Avatar

    Louie

    Technician

    Satisfied Customers:

    2208
    25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/P0/p0llinate/2011-4-27_174649_tucker.64x64.JPG Nathan's Avatar

    Nathan

    Installer

    Satisfied Customers:

    1683
    Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ST/steven.benoit/2011-4-1_194735_untitled1.64x64.jpg Steven's Avatar

    Steven

    Technician

    Satisfied Customers:

    1366
    Ma. Master Technician Lic. Authorized Warranty Support.
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/IT/ITPeter/2011-5-3_23187_Pete.64x64.JPG Pete's Avatar

    Pete

    Electronic Engineer

    Satisfied Customers:

    1260
    12+ years experience installing and repairing electronics.
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/3G/3guk/2011-1-15_132320_D1SC01363.64x64.jpg James's Avatar

    James

    Technician

    Satisfied Customers:

    1154
    AV Service Engineer (4 Years)
 
 
 
Chat Now With A TV Technician
Dan
Dan
TV Technician
6985 Satisfied Customers
USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.