Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

sylvania 32 LC320SL1 HDTV tv, will not turn on, stays in standby

sylvania 32 LC320SL1 HDTV tv, will not turn on, stays in standby mode with both red and green light illuminated
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Have you noticed anything strange before this? Maybe taking a long time to turn on? Clicking?

Kindest regards,
Dan T.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no I turned it off at night and it will not turn on
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Unplug the TV and let it sit for a couple minutes... then plug it back in. Do you hear a "click"? Now try to turn it on... do you hear another "click"?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is a click when I press the on button on the tv
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

Let's try a couple things so we can narrow this down. Make the room as dark as possible, and turn the TV on (so you hear that click). Though the screen is black, can you see a faint glow coming from it, like the backlight is working? It might appear dark gray.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The picture tube remains black and the click I hear is actually on button not the set

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok, so there is no audible "click" when you press the power button? The click would come from inside the TV.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is correct there is no audible click

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok, thanks. Now, would you feel comfortable accessing the TV's innards affect repair? If so, what kind of test equipment and training do you have? Or would you rather discuss the possible issues and repair estimates?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I would like to know the possible issues and repair costs. I have no equipment or training with TV innards, though I am a very quick learner
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok, no problem... 95% chance you have a bad power supply board, 5% bad main board. We could really dig around inside and make some voltage measurements, but the odds are definitely in your favor to replace the power board. The power board for your TV should run about $75, but that would depend on exactly which version you have. A total repair bill would run $250 or so. If you want to replace it yourself, go ahead and remove the TV's rear panel (screws) and trace the input power cord to a circuit card... that's the power supply. The card will come out of the TV easily, just screws and cables. Be sure to get the part number from the board itself so you know you're ordering the right one, ok? Encompassparts.com has new ones, moduslinkptstvboards.com has refurbs usually.

More questions? Just ask. If not, please click "ACCEPT" and leave me positive feedback! If you don't plan to leave positive feedback, please do not click "ACCEPT." Instead, please let me know what else I can do for you!

Kindest regards,
Dan T.

Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.