Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

I have a Mitsubishi WD-60735 rear dlp tv. Lately, the picture

I have a Mitsubishi WD-60735 rear dlp tv. Lately, the picture has been getting dimmer and dimmer. The colors appear to be fine, just the overall picture is dark. I've adjusted the contrast and reset all colors back to default and it still is hard to see the tv. If it's during the day, you can forget about seeing anything on the tv. Are my bulbs going out?
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to hear about your problem, I will be happy to help. I hope you find the time and information I provide to be valuable and will honor the good faith system of this site. Please be aware the answer to your question may not be good news and the procedures that are required to solve your problem may be complex and could involve replacing parts that can be expensive.

Solving your problem depends a lot on your ability to follow directions very carefully, be patient, and continue the communication process with detailed responses. The more information you provide the better chance of solving your problem.

Yes, it indeed seems that your lamp is going out. The lamp is designed to run for about 6000 hours then go out. It is made to be fairly inexpensive ($100-$200) and simple to replace (goes in a trap door on the back of the Tv). I strongly suggest you get an original Mitsubishi product because generic lamps can fail early or even sometimes not work at all. Here is the lamp you need: http://www.dlplampsource.com/tv/mitsubishi/wd-60735/915b403001-television-replacement-lamp.html

If you need further assistance please reply to this topic, I am here to help. Thanks for using Just Answers and don't forget to click the ACCEPT button.

Mike G., Technician
Experience: 10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I figured that was it, just want reasurance. Thanks for the help and the link!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, shortly after I asked this question, the tv shut down with nothing but a red light. It would not power back on even after leaving it unplugged for an extended period of time. I went ahead and ordered the replacement bulb, the tv now comes on for 30 seconds with no video, just audio, then powers back down with the red light. All the research shows bad lamp or capacitors, maybe the ballustus or color wheel... I've checked the power supply and there are no damaged capacitors. Any suggestions on if maybe something else is wrong that I can check?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.

Get the shutdown error code-

Make sure lamp, lamp door, back cover, etc is installed properly.

Plug in Tv.

After Tv initializes press power to turn it on.

The Tv should try to turn on a few times then shutdown with the red light.

Go up to the front panel on the Tv, press and hold MENU + DEVICE (INPUT) until a light on the front starts blinking a two digit code like 3 blinks pause 4 blinks repeat, or 5 blinks pause 6 blinks repeat, etc.

Report back here with the error code.

Other thing you can do is pull out the old lamp and look at it. If you see dirty dingy inside, cracks on the reflector, shattered pieces inside, bulging area at the bottom of the stem, then the lamp is worn out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The old lamp is dirty and has a burnt appearance, so I'm assuming it's bad. The code I get is 6 blinks then a pause, then 6 more blinks.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.

ya, 66 error is lamp error

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Copy that. I'll send this one back and hope for a quick replacement...