Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

My TV screen is black but I can still hear sound. Hitachi

Customer Question

My TV screen is black but I can still hear sound.
Hitachi model 55HDT52
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the light on the front of the tv doing?
-If you press the MENU button on the tv itself, does the menu show up?
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1. The power light indicator indicates whenever the power is on or off

2. I cannot see the menu becuase the screen is black

3. The unit is 3 years old

4. Yes, i have the same problem whenever watching other devices

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
There are a couple of different things that could cause this problem, the first is the power supply, and the second the main board. Also either sustain or scan driver board can cause this problem. To know exactly what board is the cause, you need to have electronic repair experience, and test equipment. If you have this let me know and I will assist you in the troubleshooting of this tv. Otherwise you will need a repairman at this point. You can expect a bill of anywhere between $400-$700, this is a good average, however it could be more or less.

I am sorry I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, please let me know if you have the skills and tools and I will be happy to assist you. Also please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My expectation is that you will pin point the problem since you're an expert. I already knew it's computer board related and had hope you had seen this issue before with the ability to point me to the exact board that need replacement. Sorry to say, but I am not satisfied.

Thanks,

Ram

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Well there is no way I can guess out of thin air and pinpoint the problem, if you can do some troubleshooting then I can help you pin point the problem to the exact board, but there is no way to do that without opening the set and doing some work. Anything other than that would be guessing.

Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Have you experienced this problem? If so, what was the issue?

Do you recommend replacing the main board or any other related boards?

Thanks,

Ram

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Yes we see this all the time, a lot of times its the scan drivers but sometimes sustain, main, and power supply. SO its not possible to tell you which one is your problem, and there is not one that causes it 90% of the time or anything like that so its not a simple thing.

Tim