Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  12+ years experience installing and repairing electronics.

mitsubishi wd-65737 when turned on I get a blue welcome screen

mitsubishi wd-65737 when turned on I get a blue welcome screen (with a quick blinking green indicator light). The tv doesn't respond to any buttons on remote control. The only button on the front panel that it will respond to, is when I push power to shut it down.
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.

Electronics Pete :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Electronics Pete :

Is the green timer light flashing rapidly on your Mitsubishi WD-65737 TV?

Electronics Pete :

If so, this indicates that the Digital Module in the TV is not booting up. This is a common fault in these sets and the problem is caused by faulty capacitors on the internal circuits. These parts have a limited lifetime and fail after a few years of use.

If you were to keep the TV plugged in, and push (System) Reset periodically (every five minutes or so), it may eventually boot up and turn on. Hopefully these parts will build up enough to work at least one more time; but, the next time the power flickers, it will do exactly the same thing. Eventually the problem will get worse until it will not boot up again (which may be now). If it does start working again, please remember to save this information for later when you need it. Unfortunately, this is the best option to try without repairing the TV.

To repair this reliably, all the bad capacitors must be replaced throughout the electronic chassis. This can be a rather complicated, time-consuming repair.

Mitsubishi have a rebuild program for the entire electronic chassis: the chassis is removed and sent to Mitsubishi and they will replace all the capacitors and the other parts that commonly fail. They will charge around $300 for this service.

I recommend contacting Mitsubishi Consumer Relations at(NNN) NNN-NNNNto ask about the rebuild program. I also recommend asking Mitsubishi to cover the entire cost of the repair. They may very well cover the cost of the rebuild or they may offer to pay for the rebuild only, but it doesn't hurt to ask for the labor cost, too.

It is also possible for Mitsubishi to offer you a new TV at a reduced cost (this seems to be becoming more common). You may need to be insistent, and make several calls, but Mitsubishi is well known for being very helpful (hint).

Usually Mitsubishi requires one of their authorized servicers to check the TV on-site first, before they will offer a concession. They will usually ask for a written estimate and a bill of sale faxed to them (the representative will give the specific fax number). Mentioning previous repairs may also work in your favor.

If needed, your nearest authorized Mitsubishi servicer can be found by entering your information on this page:

http://direct.where2getit.com/cwc/apps/w2gi.php?template=search_new&client=mitsuservicer#?mid=174138

On the other hand, you may want to consider investing your money in a new TV set instead.

Customer:

Yes, the green light flashes rapidly. Mitsubishi says it needs an update, which I find no info on and it isn't hooked up to any internet service. I have asked a technician to come out and check it. You have provided some very helpful info! It will be very useful for when the technician comes out. Thank you!!

Electronics Pete :

Glad I could assist you.

Electronics Pete :

Thanks for using JustAnswer!

Customer:

Thank you!

Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience: 12+ years experience installing and repairing electronics.