Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

I have a Model Code LA46A650A1FXXY Version SQ01 TV The problem

I have a Model Code LA46A650A1FXXY Version SQ01 TV

The problem started recently where at the start it turned on and off for about 5 minutes then stayed on until switched off.

The next time it was turned on it turned itself off and on continuously with the sound similar to a relay clicking in and out.

The rate is about every second, it will pause for about 5 seconds then it will go back to the once a second beat.

The relay sound is quite audible.

Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Once it comes on, does everything look and sound normal?

Kindest regards,
Dan T.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Dan
The first time it eventually started after 5 minutes and everything appeared normal.

It now does not get to the picture stage prior to switching off.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Ok, thanks. This is a pretty typical LCD scenario, believe it or not... quite common. ESPECIALLY with these Samsung models.

These sets can get what I like to call "borderline bad" components... hit and miss when it comes time to power up. Eventually, and as you've seen, the components will get worse. With time, they'll fail completely (you might be at this stage already). The components: capacitors in the power supply circuit.

If you or someone you know is handy with a multimeter and soldering tools, and you want to repair this... I recommend you start there. The power supply will be the first circuit board you run into if you trace the input power cord. Look and smell for burnt or open components, paying particularly close attention to the capacitors. If any of them are bulging/swollen (not perfectly cylindrical), domed (not totally flat on top), or leaking... they are faulty and will need to be replaced.

Else, consider replacing the whole board. It will be slightly more expensive as far as parts are concerned... but will save you on labor. The board will run $50-$150 depending on which version you have.

More questions? Just ask. If not, please click "ACCEPT" and leave me positive feedback! If you don't plan to leave positive feedback, please do not click "ACCEPT." Instead, please let me know what else I can do for you!

Kindest regards,
Dan T.