Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

My insignia NS 20LCD tv is locked, when I unlocked it, it wouldnt

Customer Question

My insignia NS 20LCD tv is locked, when I unlocked it, it wouldn't show anything, but my sound for my PS3 came trhough, then it became locked again, now it wont detect ANYTHING (Cable box, or PS3 consol). HELP!
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Why do you say locked, is it saying something on the screen?
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, the screen is black with the word "Lock" at the bottom and is unresponsive to all buttons except the on/off button (both on the remote and the TV itself)

I dont know how old the TV is, it was given to me, I'll assume a few years old?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
What happens when you press the LOCK button on the insignia remote?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The original remote doesn't work any more (even with battery change) so I got a GE universal remote which is working fine, (my Comcast cable universal remote will not connect to the TV) . I looked online and several folks said push and hold the "info" button for 5-10 seconds, but that didnt work.

Sofar only the manual route (holding the "menu" button on the TV while turning it on via the secondary power switch on the left) has worked to unlock it. But it's now unresponsive to my accessories plugged in it (cable and PS3 console).

Is there any way to fix this without getting a new Insignia remote, I fear this TV unit is discontinued, as it's not listed on the main Insignia website, doesnt even come up in a search.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
I am not sure if there is a way to do this without the original remote, I have included a link below to where you can get one if you want to.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is there a difference in unlocking the TV methods that would cause the TV to no longer connect to it's devices?

As I said, I've unlocked it, but it wont recognize the plugged in devices (PS3 and cable box).