euro-pro llc
euro-pro llc, Technician
Experience:  20 years in TV repair,certified by all major brands- Sony,Samsung, LG,Toshiba, Panasonic, RCA,

I have a Samsung Series 8 / 8500 LED TV. Its just over a

I have a Samsung Series 8 / 8500 LED TV. It's just over a year old. Recently while watching the TV it has turned off and then back on again completly on it's own. Today I tried turning the TV on and all I get is a clicking sound as if it's trying to turn on but I don't get the chime and no picture. The clicking sound continues and even after unpluging the TV the clicking sound goes on for a short time before stopping. After pluging the TV back in the clicking sound starts again.
Category: TV
Expert:  euro-pro llc replied 3 years ago.

euro-pro llc :

euro-pro llc :

I will try to help you with this question.

euro-pro llc :

Is the tv still covered by any warranty(manufacturer or extended)?

euro-pro llc :

If not, will you try to repair the tv by yourself?Do you have electronic repair experience, or you just need a roughly estimate for repair done by a professional?

euro-pro llc :

The tv is defective, there is not too much you can do from outside to correct this issue, parts will need to be replaced!

Customer:

The unit is just out of warranty, I live in the US Virgin Isalnds so I have become out of necessity an amateur electronics repair person so I will out of necessity probably need to try and repair the unit myself.

Customer:

Are you still there?

euro-pro llc :

euro-pro llc :

Yes I am still here, for some reasons the network was very slow!

euro-pro llc :

Ok, try and open up the tv set, by removing the back cover

euro-pro llc :

then look for the flat ribbon cable(brown)- called the LVDS cable that goes from the main board(the board with the AV inputs and tuner on it) to the Tcon board( a smaller board under a metal shielding in the bottom of the panel)

euro-pro llc :

Try and remove the LVDS cable from the main board side

euro-pro llc :

Pay attention to the locling tab, that keep the cable in place

euro-pro llc :

Try and turn on the TV with this cable disconnected.

euro-pro llc :

If the TV comes up , and STAY up=replace the LVDS cable!

euro-pro llc :

This LVDS cable creates a LOT of issues in these sets

euro-pro llc :

It may also look like a multiwire cable not a flat one(on the earliest versions)

euro-pro llc :

If the TV does NOt stay up, and has same issue, try and disconnect the cable between the main and the power board

euro-pro llc :

Plug in the set, it should come up by itself,with backlight , but no picture.

euro-pro llc :

If it does not, and still clikc=defective power board

euro-pro llc :

If it does power up, and not clik anymore=defective main board

euro-pro llc :

Please let me know what you find, and I will try to help with the necessary part#

Customer:

I already took the TV off the wall and took the back off. I carfuly cleaned off some dust that had accumulated and carfully unplugged and plugged back in every connector between the three boards I would see. I put the back on the TV and hung it back on the wall and when I plugged it back in and hit the on button it cam back on. After about 30 min. though it shut off on it's own. I used the remote and turned it back on and it came on and is currently working.

Customer:

It's going to take me some time to remove the Tv from the wall and get the back off to conduct the various tests you suggest. Can you wait that long for me to do that?

euro-pro llc :

Ok, then it may a faulty key input board- touch board where the keys are(the little circuit board has an IC that communicates with the main board)

euro-pro llc :

Since the tv is playing now, do not do the tests-these are for when the tv does NOT work , just clicking

euro-pro llc :

Try to remove the connector that comes from the key(touch board ) into the main board-AFTER the tv is on

euro-pro llc :

let the tv play-if it does not shut down anymore-defective key board

euro-pro llc :

If it still shut down, then you probably have a defective main board, since the LVDS cable will not act like this(shutting down after a while)

euro-pro llc :

At this point, based on this new information you provided, that the tv is playing now, I believe that either the Key board is faulty( in this case the tv will not shut down after the connector from the touch(key board) board into the main board is removed(with the tv ON.

euro-pro llc :

or dsometimes this cable between the main and the key board gets slightly pinched by the back cover into the panel(chassis ground), and this will also cause problems..

euro-pro llc :

Monitor the situation, and let me know what you find please.

euro-pro llc :

You can post back to this question, anytime, even after the question is accepted, or timed out, I will still be able to see your posts, and reply to you!

Customer:

Ok, I did do some research on line before starting this chat and I found several reports of the power boards on these Tv's having problems and Samsung knowing this was a widespread issue coninuing to offer warrantte support. I called samsugn and they asked me to upgrade the firmware before they would take the matter any further. If it's a matter of changing out the pawer board that seems simple enough to me as long as i can get my hands on the part(s).

Customer:

Anyway, thank you for your help and I will take you advice and check everthing as you suggest and get back to you wiht my findings.

euro-pro llc :

Power board can be an issue, but it is easy to test, like I said, by removing the cable from the main board, the set comes up by itself, and has backlight(no picture)

euro-pro llc :

If it does not, or shuts off by itself then the power board is defective, otherwise is not

euro-pro llc :

I suspect more either the touch board, or the main board.

euro-pro llc :

Test the tv as I suggested, and post back your findings, I will help you get the part# XXXXX a place top buy it.

euro-pro llc :

Please accept my answer if you find it helpful, and will be able to leave a positive feedback.

euro-pro llc :

Thank you very much, and have a great day!

Customer:

Ok, thanks and you have a good day also!

euro-pro llc, Technician
Experience: 20 years in TV repair,certified by all major brands- Sony,Samsung, LG,Toshiba, Panasonic, RCA,