Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

We have a Samsung flat screen TV that shuts itself off and

We have a Samsung flat screen TV that shuts itself off and then makes a clicking sound like when you turn it on although it doesn't turn on. Any ideas?
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Does the TV eventually turn on? If so, how long does it take?

Kindest regards,
Dan T.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This happened on Friday. I wiggled some cables on the side and it turned on. It didn't happen Saturday or Sunday. My husband was watching it at 5:00 and it turned off. Once again, I wiggled some cords on the side and it turned on. We left the house and when we came back we turned the TV on and after about 15 minutes it shut itself off again and now won't come back on. I have unplugged the cables and power supply and plugged them back in and it still won't come on.
What cables did you wiggle? The power cord? And now you just have clicking? Can you try depressing the power button a number of times? Upwards of 20-30 will do... see if you can get it to turn on.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I wiggled the yellow/white/red cables (? audio/video). I will give it a try.
Ok, let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It will not turn on and just keeps making a clicking sound like when you turn it on.
Ok, thanks. There are 4 different circuits inside the TV that can cause this. Would you feel comfortable removing the TV's rear panel and working inside a bit? Nothing major, just disconnecting some cables... let me know!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>Yes, we will give it a try. It will take us a little bit to unhook it and remove the rear panel.</p><p> </p><p>Okay, we have the back panel off. Now what?</p><p> </p><p>Please advise. We have our TV torn apart and laying on the front room floor!</p><p> </p><p> </p>
Ok, see the connector labeled #1? Disconnect that... then try to turn the TV on. You definitely won't get a picture... but does the TV turn on?

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am not seeing anything labeled #1. Can you point me in the right direction?

Look at the picture I posted. Here, I'll repost it... look at the #1 in the picture... then disconnect that on your TV and see if it will turn on.

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, it is face down on the floor. We disconnected #1 and plugged it in and it made the sound like it does and appeared that the light came on.
Ok, so the TV powered on as usual... just no picture, right? The clicking stopped?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, as best we can tell it powered on and no more clicking.

Ok, you are going to need a new scan drive board (aka y-sustain). You see the large board on the left hand side with the large metal heat sinks on it? That's the one. The part number is XXXXX it'll run you $175 and you can get a new one from encompassparts.com. Put it in yourself and save the labor... it's pretty self explanatory... screws and cables. If you need more assistance, let me know.

More questions? Just ask. If not, please click "ACCEPT" and leave me positive feedback! If you don't plan to leave positive feedback, please do not click "ACCEPT." Instead, please let me know what else I can do for you!

Kindest regards,
Dan T.