Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

2004 SONY WIDE SCREEN PROJECTION TV MODEL KP 46WT510, SERIAL

2004 SONY WIDE SCREEN PROJECTION TV MODEL KP 46WT510, SERIAL #(NNN) NNN-NNNN THE PICTURE IS VISIBLE BUT IMAGES ARE SMEARED AND
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Are you seeing double vision or separation of color at all?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YES DOUBLE IMAGES AND THE KIDS USE THIS TV FOR PLAYING PLAYSTATION AND DVD'S.
First let me say sorry I don't have a quick fix for this problem.

The problem you are describing is a very common one in CRT projection sets like yours. The convergence circuit has failed and will require component replacement in order to get the set working again. This repair should be done by a qualified technician, these sets can be dangerous to someone who does not know where not to touch, also it is very easy to cause more bad than good if you don't know what you are doing. Also the use of a digital multi meter and the ability to solder very well will be required. I cannot stress enough, you must be able to solder very well or can cause many problems.

If you have a meter and solder equipment and would like to complete this repair yourself please let me know and I will give you instructions on how to complete this repair. Parts can cost you anywhere from $50-$150 depending on where you buy them at. But remember I have seen quite a few people destroy perfectly good sets by not knowing what they are doing so just take that as a caution.

A good repair shop will run you somewhere between $300-$500 to repair this for you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND YOUR HELP, I WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS MYSELF BUT AT LEAST I HAVE AN IDEA OF WHERE I AM GOING NOW IN GETTING IT REPAIRED. ANY CHANCE IN BUYING THE PART MYSELF WILL SAVE ME MONEY?
Buying the parts yourself probably wouldn't help you at all...most shops wont use any parts but their own anyway because they cannot warranty parts you buy. So if you want to have it repaired, just best to let the shop do everything.

Tim