Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

My tv is flashing like a strobe light......I have to turn it

Customer Question

My tv is flashing like a strobe light......I have to turn it off and on to make it quit...now its getting to were I'm having to do it....more frequent....why is this happening?
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

If you bring up the TV's on screen menu... does it flicker, too? Also, are all inputs doing this same thing? DVD player, cable box, game console, etc.?

Kindest regards,
Dan T.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It started a couple of weeks ago....my daughter paused the dvd player and as soon as we turned it back on it started doing so I unplugged the dvd player...didnt work....I've unplugged the tv and other things and nothing....while i'm watching tv or the kids playt the WII it just starts doing it...I've turned it off about 5 times in the last 30 min..
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
But if you turn it off and on, it's OK? How long does it take to act up again once it's working OK?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm having to turn it off about every 5 min after I turn it back on....

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok, and definitely flashing very fast like a strobe light, right?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes sir
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok, thanks for confirmation. What you have here is a faulty LCD panel. More specifically, the CCFLs in the panel are having difficulty maintaining an arc and are flashing... much like the fluorescent tube lights you've seen flicker in stores and offices. Now, the bad news here is that the CCFLs can't be repaired... the entire panel would need to be replaced and I'm afraid that would be far too expensive to consider. Your money would be better spent on a replacement TV.

So sorry to bear bad news, but I hope this helps.

More questions? Just ask. If not, please click "ACCEPT" and leave me positive feedback! If you don't plan to leave positive feedback, please do not click "ACCEPT." Instead, please let me know what else I can do for you!

Kindest regards,
Dan T.

Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hi again,

Got your feedback, thanks! Regarding your question... how long have I been doing what? Working on this site?

Dan T.