Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My sanyo dp26648 will turn on and i get sound but no image

Customer Question

My sanyo dp26648 will turn on and i get sound but no image with any input. is there a lamp that needs to be replaced?
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for your patience. Should you still need assistance...

Initially, consider an experiment. Power on the TV and set to a program/channel. If at all possible, darken the room where the TV is. Shine a flashlight at an angle (not directly) and nearly touching the screen where the volume level / menu display is usually seen. Press the VOL UP/DOWN or MENU button and note if a dark/ghostly image of the volume level or MENU could be seen.

Postback results.

The above is a test to determine if it is a backlighting issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is a ghost image viewed with a flashlight
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
It would appear that the Sanyo's backlighting system has failed or more particularly, some components of the inverter or power supply boards have lost their electrical properties. The backlighting system is responsible for providing the soft whitish glow at the rear of the screen. Possible suspects then are:
  • CCF lamps (cold cathode florescent) (least likely);
  • power supply (PSU) (likely);
  • inverter (most likely).

The CCF lamps emit the soft whitish glow and is powered by high frequency high voltage output of the inverter. The inverter in turn is powered by the power supply. Based on these, no quick/easy fix. The Sanyo would have to be opened up to confirm/further diagnosis, perform voltage measurements and effect repairs.

Options then are:
  • consider a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair if and only if comfortable working with electronic components & circuitry, use of a DVM/VOM, a soldering iron/station and safe practices with electrically powered devices. Access to a Service Manual or at the very least, a schematic diagram would be a necessity;
  • should you be uncomfortable with a DIY, perhaps your best bet would then be to consult with and/or seek the services of an authorized Service Center or a qualified professional.

Are you considering a DIY repair? If yes:
  • if you are considering component level repair then in some instances, the fault may be caused by bloated, bulging, leaky capacitors - visual inspection, check/replace;
  • if you are more comfortable with board replacement, then the inverter (P/N: CMO VIT70063.50) may be inquired HERE;
  • while the power supply (P/N: 1AV4U20C17201) HERE;
  • actual part numbers would have to be taken from the boards currently installed as there may have been production revision;
  • to determine which board, check for the presence of DC Voltage from the PSU to the inverter;
  • while board replacement is not that difficult, it may be the dis-assembly that may be of a challenge to some.

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should you need additional information.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I found the psu board but where is the inverter board? Im getting 120v ac coming in to the psu at bottom and 24.2v dc out at the top left plug with one white and nine black wires. I'm also getting 5-19 v dc from the plug at top right with one white and 12 black wires
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Does the PSU board has a connector CN903? If yes, then this version is a LIPS; i.e. combination PSU and inverter. Please disregard earlier post of a separate inverter. CN903 would be providing the CCF lamps with the HF/HV supply.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry it took so long to get back to you. the tv is at my mother in laws house. the plug on the top left is marked CN903. the board looks identical to the board in the link you sent me earlier. how can i be sure what the part number is?

Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Appreciate the post back.

It would be printed on the barcode or stenciled underneath the board.