Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair
Experience:  FCC Commercial License, Previous owner of Electronics Repair shop, 40+ years in electronic systems.

I have a 3 year old (Dec 2007) Samsung 46 , LN-T4661F LCD 1080p

I have a 3 year old (Dec 2007) Samsung 46", LN-T4661F LCD 1080p S/N AHBB3CPP801403R. For several months we have had an intermittment problem at power up with red vertical lines covering the picture, end to end. Power off/power on clears the problem. This week the TV now has a problem at power on where the picture is very dark and slowly brightens to normal viewing in about 15 minutes. Adjusting the brightness setting in the menu makes no noticable improvement. What can be done about this? Why should I buy another Samsung?
Category: TV
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.

You symptoms indicate a power supply problem - the voltages not coming up to specifications for proper operation.

Unfortunately, this is a common problem with Samsung TVs - they used marginal tolerances in their power supply components - to keep costs down, along with customer satisfaction.

The most common problem in the power supplies - with the capacitors (which regulate the voltages). For an example, a capacitor rated at 1000mf, 16vdc, is under rated for the voltage, it should be the next higher voltage rating, like 25vdc.

Many service shops will replace the components on the power supply (a little more labor) with better tolerance components. Others will replace them with the power supply board - and you get the same marginally rated components - and failure again in a few years.

A power supply repair will run about $200, labor included.

A service estimate will run about $45-$75, depending on your location. The estimate charge will apply towards labor for repairs, should you decide to have it repaired.

Sorry it is not a simple fix.

Without actually testing the equipment myself and performing diagnostics, I can only provide you with the most probable problem from my experience, service information and likely resolution. Please only accept if you are satisfied and can provide positive feedback - feedback rates the expert and not
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. This answer provides a probable and logical (to a layman) root cause. Also is reassuring in that there is a corrective action at a modest (though unnecessary/unfortunate) cost. I expected better design quality from Samsung. Thanks for your input.
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.

I would expect so also, but many of the power supplies are not made by Samsung, but a third party - I believe they are just not tight enough in their specifications to their suppliers.

I do not recommend Samsung to my customers or friends for this reason.