Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

My Samsung Plasma TV of close to 4 years old started smoking.

My Samsung Plasma TV of close to 4 years old started smoking. I immediately turned it off when it began smoking the picture and sound were fine. Obviously it needs to be looked at but can it be as simple as a fan has broken?
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Where was the smoke coming from?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The smoke was coming from the upper area of the back of the TV. At first a very faint small amount of white smoke that I thought I was imaging it then the smoke (still white) got thicker and wider and I clearly could see the TV was smoking. I turned it off at that time but the picture and sound was still of great quality.
Ok chances are one of your y buffers were burning up, quite common in your model. Bad news here is this repair normally runs $300-400 for repair. The board that is burning up of course will need to be replaced to fix the issue.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan