Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

my mitsubishi DLP has sound but no picture. I replaced the

Customer Question

my mitsubishi DLP has sound but no picture. I replaced the bulb with a new one from a local TV repair shop, and this bulb also went out in just 3days what could the problem be I get sound and the green light comes on but no picture, what could be causing the bulb to go out time and time again. the model # XXXXX XXXXX 65in
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Turn the TV off and dim the lights. Now put your face down by the lamp access door and turn the TV on or have someone do it for you. The first thing you should hear is a "whirrrr" (the color wheel), then you should hear a "bzzt" (the ballast trying to light the lamp). You might also see a small blue flame or spark at this time.

Do you hear the color wheel and hear or see the ballast firing?

Kindest regards,
Dan T.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yeah i hear the whrrr noise and the sound comes on but no picture, I havent check the bulb to see if it was out again yet. Should I do that first.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

You could visually inspect the bulb, but that's not always failsafe. After the color wheel spun up (whirrrr) did you hear a small crackle (aka "bzzt") or see a blue spark/flame inside the TV?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll check check now
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I hear the wheel spinning but there is a small firing noise sounding like it is trying to start the bulb but nothing then the tv sound works but no picture
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Ok, thanks for checking those things. Yes, it sounds like you may have gotten a faulty lamp. It could be the power supply or ballast, but these are much less likely than the lamp since the ballast is firing.

The lamp should be part number 915B403001, and should've cost you about $150. If the part number is XXXXX or if the lamp was much less expensive than that, then it's definitely suspect. Else, I recommend calling the shop to ask about their return policy. Also, the bulb itself should be a Philips or Osram. Anything else, or if it says something like "OEM compatible" on the box or paperwork, it's junk.

More questions? Just ask. If not, please click "Accept" and leave positive feedback! Thanks!

Dan T.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The bulb I paid 150$ an had it done at a tv repair shop, is it possile that the bulb could be faulty with being shattered.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The bulb I paid 150$ an had it done at a tv repair shop, is it possile that the bulb could be faulty withOut being shattered.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Make sure the part number is right, and that it's OEM not "OEM compatible" or similar. And yes, a lamp can be faulty even without shattering.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it's the same part number u listed
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok I'll keep u informed an hit u with a bonus when we get it working
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Ok, good luck.

Dan T.