TV Answerman
TV Answerman, Technician
Experience:  Licensed to work on all aircraft and shipboard electronic systems including radar displays

My DLP set has developed pin holes in the screen. Can this

My DLP set has developed pin holes in the screen. Can this be corrected? The set is three years old.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.

Your DMD is going bad. The DMD (Digital Micromirror Device) is a small chip. In this case, it contains roughly a million micro-mirrors that make up the picture you see. CLICK HERE to go to a link that shows you the chip. Click on the video in the upper right hand side of the linked page.

That chip is actually part of the engine board. It can't be "snapped out" and replaced; however the board can be replaced, and in the process, you essentially get a new television on the inside.

I have a Samsung DLP as well. I'm awaiting my first dot as well. They seem to multiply rapidly after the first one appears.

The board itself costs between $150-300, not counting labor to replace it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can I replace the board?
You can if you're semi-handy and can locate one. I'll need you to reaffirm your model number. The one you provided doesn't exist in my databases.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The model number is XXXXX I am handy and if the board can be ordered I can put it in.
You have a couple of choices.

You can put an entirely new light engine in. CLICK HERE to order it or you can replace just the DMD board within the light engine for a "little" less. CLICK HERE.

I recommend replacing the entire light engine.

We are not affiliated with either retailer.

Have a great evening.