Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  12+ years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Sharp Aquos LC-C3234U has power and OPC lights blinking. Obviously

Customer Question

Sharp Aquos LC-C3234U has power and OPC lights blinking. Obviously a common problem based on all the responses on Google. What is issue and why hasn't Sharp offered solultion?
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.

Electronics Pete :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer

Electronics Pete :

These lights can mean different things when they blink.

Electronics Pete :

Sometimes they blink continuously, and sometimes there is a pattern.

Electronics Pete :

Can you check how many times each light blinks?

Customer :

2 power & OPC then 3 OPC only then repeat

Electronics Pete :

Yes, this is a common problem on these TV sets. The blink code indicates a fault with the main power board inside your TV.
The issue is usually caused by faulty components or poor solder joints on the main power board inside the TV.

To repair the TV, you will need to order a replacement (new or used) main power board, and swap it into the TV (or get a TV technician to do this for you).

The Sharp part number for your board is RUNTKA397WJQZ and normally cost around $100. The best price I can find available is $77.51 - http://www.shopjimmy.com/sharp-runtka397wjqz-power-supply.htm

Customer :

what is your experience with replacement boards having same bad components/poor solder joints on that board

Electronics Pete :

This is indeed a problem, and it generally won't arise until after 2 or 3 years of use.
Electronic components will all break down and stop working after a length of time, perhaps 5 or 10 years.
What we have seen in many TV sets is the use of cheaper components by manufacturers which break down more quickly after less use.
The poor solder joints have become more prevalent in the past few years as manufacturers have changed over to a lead-free solder, and this produces brittle solder joints which fracture and break more easily.

Electronics Pete :

If you think getting a replacement board will lead to the same problems in a few years time, you could get your existing board repaired by a TV technician, who will fault-find the board and replace the faulty components with higher specification devices which will last longer.
He will also visually check the solder joints for any signs of weakness and touch them up as necessary.

Electronics Pete :

It might cost a bit more to have your existing board repaired rather than replace it, but it would work out to be more reliable in the long run if the work was carried out to a high standard as detailed above.

Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience: 12+ years experience installing and repairing electronics.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I replaced the RUNTKA397WJQZ board and have exactly the same issue. Power and OPC flash twice then OPC 3 times then repeat
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I replaced the Sharp RUNTKA397WJQZ board upon your recommendation. I have the same issue as before...Power and OPC flash twice then OPC 3 times then repeat

Optional Information:
Make: Sharp
Model: LC-C3234U

Already Tried:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
you suggested i replace the RUNTKA397WJQZ board on a 32" Sharp LC C3234u to fix Power and OPC flashing twice then OPC 3 times then repeat.   I replaced the board and have the exact same problem.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Where did you get the replacement board from?
Is it possible for you to test the voltage outputs on the power board to check if it is working correctly?
Also check that all cables are connected correctly and securely.
If you are still having problems, then your TV will require some advanced testing to determine the exact cause of the problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Board came from TV Parts Guy. There are only 2 cables to connect and they were securely connected. I have returned the board and replaced original board. Get same diagnostic on both boards...Power and OPC flashing twice then OPC 3 times then repeat.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Do you know how to test the voltage outputs on your power supply board?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a multimeter and have amateur experience. What are the points to check and what should the voltage be? I can send you a picture of the board and you can mark the points it that would help.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.

There should be markings alongside certain pins on the 2 connectors (usually marked Vs or something similar). Connect the negative terminal of your multimeter to ground and the positive end to each one of these supply voltage terminals in turn to check that there is voltage present when the TV is turned on. If you can send me a clear photo of each connector I will mark it up if that helps.
TAKE CARE - there are dangerous high voltages present inside the TV which can KILL!