Ask 25 Year Electronic Tech Your Own Ques...
25 Year Electronic Tech
25 Year Electronic Tech, Technician
Experience:  25+ Years Consumer Electronics Technician, Component Level, 10+ years Telecommunication Engineer
13668226

My vizio lcd screen goes suddenly dark then a minute or so

My vizio lcd screen goes suddenly dark then a minute or so later gets light again. What's up?

25 Year Electronic T :

Hello, when the screen goes dark is it just a dim picture or does the screen go completely black, if it goes completely black try this when it goes black:

To determine if your back lights have stopped functioning do the following: using a flash light or other light source, shine light directly into tv screen cup hands around your eyes and get right up to the screen and view into the screen, look very closely to see if you can make out an image, it will be faint. Try accessing the menu or changing the channels or something that would cause some graphics on the screen. If you can see an image then this indicates the back lights are not functioning, probably due to a faulty inverter board. Please let me know your results.

Thank you

Customer:

It's just a dim picture

25 Year Electronic T :

Could you see images if the room was dark, in other words if you did not have any lights turned on in the room and the picture went dark could you still see images?

25 Year Electronic T :

And does the picture still have good detail only dim? or does it loose definition?

Customer:

Yes, I still could see the images and the picture has good detail. (except in areas of the picture that have become too dim to see.

Customer:

More information: this dimming / brightening happens when we watch dvd reruns of 'Touched by an Angel'. It also happened on one other particular full length dvd movie. I thought it was the dvd player. However, we watched a rerun of 'Watched by an Angel' on the Hallmark cable channel and it did the same. We have not seen this happen at any other times whether on the dvd player or on any other cable channel.

25 Year Electronic T :

Can you play that dvd on another dvd/tv set up. This would tell you if that episode has a problem. Not quite sure how to have you trouble shoot for such an intermittent problem. You might also change the settings in the tv menu for "adaptive luma" and DCR (dynamic contrast ratio) these are some automatic adjusting settings that might be changing the brightness of the screen. Good luck, please let me know how it goes. Thank you