Steve
Steve, Technician
Experience:  Over 40 years experience ISCET Certified in Biomedical & Consumer Electronics
22470440

I have a rear projection Mitsubishi TV (HDTV-WD-60C9). It

I have a rear projection Mitsubishi TV (HDTV-WD-60C9). It worked like a charm for about 15 months. I confess that I probably leave it on for background noice too much when I work in my home office or do chores around the house.

Anyway, about 3-4 weeks ago, the picture rapidly faded. Its not watchable at this point, although I do listen to shows. Is this something I can get fixed inexpensively? Is this something I can fix myself?

Two things that may or may not be related. One thing happened before this problem, the other thing happened after.

About 3 weeks before this problem, my TV display was messed up and I had to reboot the TV by unplugging everthing for about 30 minutes. Then it worked like a charm . . for the next three weeks.

Subsequent to "watching" a largely dark screen, my TV now has the tendency to turn itself off. Not sure if any are related. Looking for guidance as to whether fixing is cost-effective option.
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Hi, you may be dealing with two separate problems...

Is the TV picture dim when using other devices (DVD player or game), and when displaying the TV menu?

In what way was the display messed up?

Have there been any previous repairs, or any other problems in the past?

I will probably have to ask more questions... thank you for bearing with me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Regarding the past problem, the display was a blank green screen (fairly bright I might add). From my online searches, I can say that with other TV's its usually a blue screen. When I had the green screen problem, it was only with watching cable TV. Computer worked fine. Unplugging caused the computer in the TV to reboot, and the TV worked fine after that. I don't think this is related to the current problem, which is a very very dark screen (at times totally black, but it seems to warm to something that is a bit better than totally black).

The current problem--the dark screen problem exists regarding of input source (cable, computer, etc).

This problem appears to coincide with the TV turning itself off from time to time. However, the very dark screen problem happened at least a week from the self-turning off materialized.

What I want to know is whether fixing the TV is economical (in light of expense for buying a comparable TV) and what the issue is (could I fix it if I got the right parts?).

Besides what I have mentioned, no previous problems/repairs.

Any ideas on what the problem is? May burned out tubes? Given my usage of the TV for background listening, I wouldn't be surprised if the TV aged more than its years.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you very much... the details are very helpful. Please try a test for me the next time it shuts off?

After the TV has shut down, press and hold both the Activity and Channel Down buttons on the front panel until the green light starts flashing. The green light will flash a two digit code: 3-3, 3-4, 6-6, etc. For example: 6 flashes, pause, 6 flashes, a longer pause, and then it repeats.

Please let me know which code the TV is flashing. It may be a good idea to repeat the test a few times to make sure the TV is giving the correct code.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Activity and Channel down buttons? Not sure I know where those are. I will check and get back to you in 5 minutes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I dont see any lights flashing---how long do I have to hold those two buttons down?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1-2
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Okay, thank you. Before the TV shut off on its own, were you watching a picture? Or, did it shut off while you were trying to turn it on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It did seem like the shut-offs happen primarily when the TV has not been on long. I wouldn't say that it was during the turn on process (give the lack of a visible screen I never thought of it in that way).

I can't speak for every shut down, but I would say most happened in the first five minutes of operation.

What does the 1-2 mean?

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Hi, the code 1-2 indicates no problem found... which obviously is not the case! But showing no problem found when it shuts off does actually indicate a common problem. Please give me a short time to type some information for you, perhaps 15-20 minutes...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Take all the time you want---do I eventually run out of time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One thought I had was that the brightness problem could actually be power related. I don't know anything about TVs, but I do know that a bright light requires more energy than a dim one. Anyway, I eagerly await your analysis. Thanks for hanging with me.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for waiting. These TVs will operate over a fairly wide voltage range, but it is not likely the picture would dim if the AC voltage was low. Instead the TV would just fail to come on at all. You are most likely dealing with two separate problems, though...

First, the problem with the green screen and the TV shutting off is most likely caused by a "confused" Main PC board in the TV. This is a rather common problem in this series of Mitsubishi XXXXX recently released a software update to correct most of the problems with these boards (85% according to Mitsubishi). So far, though, the software update has been very successful, especially with the symptoms your TV has.

The software update is available online at the link below. Click on "Software Updates" and enter your information:

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/support.html

You would need a USB flash drive to download the software and install it into your TV. Mitsubishi Consumer Relations will provide step by step directions or they will have it installed for you, if needed.

If you are unable to (or just don’t want to) install the software for any reason, or it doesn't correct the problem, please contact Mitsubishi XXXXX to have this problem corrected (at no charge to you). Their number is: 1-800-332-2119

The dark picture is most likely caused by a failing lamp in the TV. It sounds like the TV has been played quite a bit, and usually 1-1/2 - 2 years is “average” for one of these lamps in normal use. If you continue to use it as is, the lamp will probably eventually shatter.

The Mitsubishi lamp assembly (recommended) for your TV is part number 915B403001 and it is available for $99.00. Hopefully(?) this lamp is in stock at your local dealer, or it can be ordered by calling(NNN) NNN-NNNNor at this website:

http://www.mitsuparts.com/ModelSelection.aspx

Please be cautious if ordering a less expensive "aftermarket" lamp (or bulb) found online: some of these can be a gamble about how long it will last. The original lamp assemblies are held to closer tolerances and are selected to match the ballast in this particular model TV. The aftermarket lamps will work in a wider variety of TVs; but because of this, they may not be within the specified tolerance of this particular set, so they may not last as long. You may not know whether the cheaper lamp was a good choice or not until several months from now.

Below is a drawing showing the location of the lamp on your TV. Replacing the lamp is very easy... all you will need is a Philips screwdriver. There will also be instructions inside the box with the new lamp, but please let me know if I can help.

graphic

If I may make a suggestion... if you call to have the software upgraded, you might mention you also need a new lamp. This way the on-site servicer can bring and replace the lamp while loading the software. I would hope he or she would not charge any labor for this, because Mitsubishi is paying the servicer to upgrade the software anyway. Plus, it only takes a couple of minutes if the servicer has access to the back panel.

If I can be of further help by offering more information about this, please let me know. Remember to click "Accept," and please remember also: you can still return to this page for more information at a later time.
Steve, Technician
Experience: Over 40 years experience ISCET Certified in Biomedical & Consumer Electronics
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help. I don't think there is a software update for my model. The link you sent shows an update for a 3-D TV. I am however going to replace the lamp and see what kind of TV I have at that point.

Thanks.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Hi, the update is lower on the page... not the large green box. The software in these sets is causing a lot of problems, and the upgrade corrects many of these odd problems. I would like to strongly encourage you to do the upgrade, even if you call to have it done. It will prevent future problems, too.

And thank you for the Accept!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks again for your help. If this all works, I will definitely come back and provide a bonus.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome, and thank you!
Steve, Technician