Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

LG 42 LCD flickering picture, no sound problems. Unplugging

LG 42" LCD flickering picture, no sound problems. Unplugging for a few minutes fixes the problem but only for about 5 mins then begins to flicker again eventually losing picture altogether.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 5 years ago.

Jack :

Hi and thank you for using justanswer.
I`m going to help you with your tv but first i will have a few questions;

Jack :

While you are loosing the picture,do you still have some light(backlight) or is the screen completely dark ?

Jack :

Has this problem been gradually getting worse or just happened all of sudden ?

Customer:

Hi

Jack :

hello

Customer:

It was a gradual loss of picture. It flickers, like interference then eventually goes black with a "no signal" symbol on the screen from the satellite receiver. But we do have sound.

Jack :

o.k then you can see your tv`s menu ?

Customer:

We have it turned off. Just a moment

Jack :

o.k

Customer:

It's on and working right now because it was unplugged but its already deteriorating. We have the menu up now but could lose it soon.

Jack :

o.k then you loose the signal and menu ?

Customer:

I don't know if the menu will go too. I've never tested it.

Jack :

o.k leave it on and we`ll see, i do have a few more questions anyway.

Customer:

okay

Jack :

you are saying that when you loose the picture you can see a message from the sat receiver on the tv screen ?

Customer:

yes

Jack :

O.k then it looks like it is not the tv who is loosing the picture or signal.

Jack :

Do you have a dvd ?

Customer:

We had a different tv connected to the satellite and it worked fine. The DVD works fine too.

Jack :

the dvd works fine on this tv ?

Jack :

or does it also loose the picture ?

Customer:

The dvd seems to work fine. The menu is not flickering with the picture.

Jack :

So just the picture from the satellite is going ?

Customer:

I think so, but the other tv worked with the satellite receiver.

Jack :

o.k no problem, what kind of connection do you have , HDMI,component ?

Jack :

that is between the sat. and the tv

Customer:

what is component?

Jack :

Y-Pb-Pr or 3 cables (rca type) for picture and 2 for audio

Customer:

Okay, that's what they are.

Jack :

So do you have component cables or one single HDMI ?

Customer:

The 3 plugs, red white yellow

Jack :

O.k then that would be the standard audio/video cables

Customer:

yes

Jack :

Do you happen to have a spare cable of that type ?

Jack :

i`m thinking that perhaps the yellow cable has a bad connection

Customer:

I think so, one moment

Jack :

either that or the tv jack where it is plugged in is defective

Customer:

It seems better and flickered once but is now stable.

Jack :

if you play with the yellow connector directly at the tv, does it flicker ?

Jack :

or at the sat receiver

Customer:

No, it has no effect.

Jack :

picture is stable now ?

Customer:

The brightness of the picture seems wrong too. The whites are too bright.

Jack :

Do you have component inputs YPbPr on your tv ?

Customer:

we're getting flicker but only intermittantly.

Customer:

I don't know what that is.

Jack :

the same ones i mentionned earlier , it would be written Y-Pb-Pr near the jacks at the back of your tv

Customer:

yes, we do

Jack :

do you also have them on the sat receiver ?

Customer:

yes

Jack :

you would get a much better picture using those terminals

Customer:

oh, okay, we'll give them a try

Jack :

it mreans your tv is hd capable and right now you are watching it in standard resolution

Jack :

Might also clear that flicker problem

Jack :

You`ll have to switch your tv to that component input, and you will also need 2 extra(red/white) cables for audio

Jack :

you can use your spare cable for audio and leave the yellow connector off

Customer:

Okay

Jack :

you have it hooked up ?

Customer:

yes, way better

Customer:

no flickering either

Jack :

you now will have high definition although not all channels are broadcasted in hd

Jack :

i believe it is that input on your tv that is faulty but in any case you won`t need it anymore

Customer:

yeah, perfect thanks so much.

Jack :

you will receive an email after this chat is closed and there will be a link to get back to me anytime if you have any questions.

Customer:

My drunk husband says you're a smartass

Customer:

He couldn't fix it.

Jack :

Thats o.k that is why i`m here

Customer:

Thanks again

Jack, Technician
Experience: 35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech