Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I have a Toshiba 57H84 Rear Projection TV. The picture and

Customer Question

I have a Toshiba 57H84 Rear Projection TV. The picture and sound are there but there are wavy red vertical lines so I can hardly see the picture. Is that an easy fix?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think the unit is around 8 years old. I bought it new. It started a couple of years ago with wavy lines when I first turned it on but they would go away after a few minutes or so. Now the lines are there all the time and it is impossible to watch the TV. I can see that the picture is there but the red lines are just too bad. The lines are there whether it is on cable, DVD, Wii, etc. I've never had the TV maintained or made any adjustments myself.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
If you press the MENU button, are the lines in front or behind the menu?

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
On top of the menu
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
I am trying to determine between 2 possible issues in your model both with similar symptoms to what you have...any way you can get me a picture of the problem so I can see it for myself and be 100% sure? (if you can post a picture, please click the icon above, where you are typing, of the paper clip. This will allow you to upload a picture)

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Her are two. with and without menuTVTV with menu
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
That is a bad hyper module, I am sorry for the bad news here but this is not a easy fix. This part has been discontinued and runs around $550 to have repaired profesionally if you want to have it done. If you decide to move forward with this a repairman will need to remove the hyper mod from your tv, send it to a repair facility and then reinstall it when it comes back. I am sorry, wish I had better news for you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wow, thanks for the info. I appreciate your prompt response.

George

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
No problem, sorry I didnt have good news for you.

Tim