Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
13758627

I have a 73 Mitsubishi DLP unit that is starting to get white pixels 20+ and now bla

I have a 73" Mitsubishi DLP unit that is starting to get white pixels 20+ and now black pixels 30+. Is there a servicing for this or does the main DLP unit have to be replaced? I've been through that before 2 times when the unit was new.

Thanks,

Ted Hayduk (XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX)
Category: TV
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 3 years ago.

Chuck Williams :

Hi!

Chuck Williams :

If you are having white or black "pixels,", then I'm guessing these spots are absolutely stationary, correct? They do not move around at all?

Customer:

Yes started out a 2, then 4 then 6-8 white pixels. The black pixels are new. I was hoping is was a "cleaning" issue. I was told that here was an annual preventative maintenance that should be performed every 2-3 years. It's just past 3 years since the main DLP unit was replaced.

Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience: Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No bad pixels are moving, but the black pixels have a different shape than the white ones. I can take a picture and send it to your email if that would help?

OK, then if the problem moves around, it's definitely not pixels of even dust in the optics, it's more serious. And the usual suspects are the capas scattered throughout this TV that always go bad. In your case, probably on the formatter board. This is one of many known problems on this TV.

But if I may, I'm going to give you some frank advice.

If you are at all inclined to junk this TV, in my opinion now's the time. This set was a dog from the get go.

Another problem just waiting to crop up is a defective DM module. The way that will happen is that one day, the front green LED will just rapidly flash, like it does when you plug the set into the power outlet, only it won't stop.

Mits has a program where they will rebuild the chassis of this TV for about $300, but you'd also have to get a Mits tech involved, and his time to pull the chassis and send it off, then reinstall it would be in the $200 range at the very minimum.

There are a couple of other bad design flaws in this TV, but the above is certainly enough in my book. Mits used to make great TV's, but ever since their entry into the DLP design (and again, this is my opinion), they haven't made a decent TV. Their current line is a step back in the right direction.

Sorry for the bad news, let me know if you have any other questions, thanks for the accept, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My bad, the pixels are NOT moving, but getting more frequent. I bought the 72" with the extended warranty. main DLP module went out in 8 months. Replaced, then 4 months later that one failed. After a LOT of bitching they replaced the set with a new 73" model. Been fine until now.

If it's a cleaning issue and could be fixe3d with a service call, fine. If I have to screw with a new DLP unit - out it goes... :-(

Ted
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do bad Pixels NOT moving change your assessment?

Ted

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I'm ion the Caribbean and my Internet is a little spotty.

If your pixel issue is absolutely stationary, then that almost always means you either have dust or debris on the DLP surface, especially if they aren't really defined by "pixels" per sey.

If you look very closely at the screen, you will see what individual pixels look like. If your problem of what you see on screen is bigger that actual pixels or overlaps a few pixels, then dust is a definite possibility.

But if you truly have exact pixel size defects, that to me would indicate a problem on the DLP chip, and you're back to spending big money to fix it.

Get back to me if you have any other questions, and thanks for the Accept!

Chuck

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Chuck. I'll get a cleaning and see what happens. If that doesn't get it cleared up, Flat LED is the next step.

Safe Travels,

Ted
Best of luck to you, Ted!