Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

I bought a RCA 46 inch LCD TV 3 years ago. Until recently it

Customer Question

I bought a RCA 46 inch LCD TV 3 years ago. Until recently it had been working great. Within the last few weeks it has lost its volume a few times. I unplugged it for 5 or 10 mins. and plugged it back in and the volume came back. Yesterday,however, I turned on the TV and there was no volume at all unless I turned it up full blast then I could hear it very faintly. I have no components attached to the TV other than a cable box and a DVD player. I have a HDMI cable and audio and video cables from the box to the TV and still have a good picture from that but still no volume. I also at the same time seem to have lost my IMPUT connections, VID1,VID2 for the DVD player. I also tried headphones but still have no volume. The model # XXXXX XXXXX serial # XXXXX XXXXX Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-So you are having an issue with the DVD as well though right?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the DVD is working fine cause I tried it on another tv set. the inputs on the the 46 in. tv won't work. only the HDMI input has picture but no sound. I have checked all the volume settings and they are all ok.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set. IF the power supply had to be replaced you could be looking at $250-300

Next could be the main board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $300-$400 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over the cost of a new set)

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan