bluextc89
bluextc89, Technician
Experience:  Small Business Owner.

My 42 plasma HDTV by Samsung stopped working. When first

Customer Question

My 42" plasma HDTV by Samsung stopped working. When first turned on, it will work for 30 seconds and then turn turn off. And then every few minutes it clicks as if it is trying to come back on but can't. Figure that it is something in the power supply board, so I took the board out looking for bad caps or cracked connections and can't find anything. There is a swollen component (looks like some resister) 5WR015J. Can you tell me what component is likely bad?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-When it turns off, what does the light on the front do?
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Light on front emitts a very small flash with of the clicks on about a 10 sec cycle.

It is 3 years old. We have no problems with any other devices. Currently using a different TV with cable and dvd equipment with no problems.

Just put the power board back into the TV and turned it on. The TV cycles through a series of clicking sounds. soft click, loud click, soft click then nothing for 5 seconds. the soft click, loud click, soft click again with slower timing. Then the cycle repeats in another 5 seconds. The light on the front of the TV flashes only on the first click of the total 6 click cycle.

Some new information. If I push with my finger pressing down in the middle of the power board and hold the force, the TV works. If I let off, it stops working and the same old clicking start again. It pretty much doesn't matter where I push on the board so long as it deflect just a little to make the tv work. Maybe a loose connection somewhere. What is that likely to be and/or how would I find it?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Any chance you can get me a picture of that component that you thought looks swollen?(if you can post a picture, please click the icon above, where you are typing, of the paper clip. This will allow you to upload a picture)

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
View Full Image
It's a little out of focus but it is white and reads 5WR015J. To the left of the larger white SIC component. The surface is swollen on the top and so is not visible but the top is bulging upwards irregularly and is not flat.
graphic
View Full Image
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
I dont think you have anything to worry about there, that looks ok to me.

Do you know how to use a meter?

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. I have a multimeter. What should I measure?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
There should be a couple pins on the power supply connectors labeled VS and VA, i need to know what the DC is on those.

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
found vs on one set of 5 pins and va on another set of 3 pins. The voltage was 1.2 V and it slowly decreased, 30 sec later it was .7 V. Then the TV started working and the voltage is a constant at 146 V. Weird that it's have been working for a few minutes even when I push on the board. It'll likely stop working in a minute.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
146 for va and vs? they should both be different, what are you using as ground?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No ground. I measured the voltage between the two. Separately: vs is 201 V and va is 61.8 V, but this is with the TV working. Now the stupid thing is still working yet. It's as if jamming the leads into the wire connectors on the vs and va pins changed something. Will measure again after I let the TV cools down expecting it to stop working again once it cools down.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Ok you checked them right that time, we need to know the voltage next time it acts up.

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, when it's not working the va is 0.39 V and stays constant. vs starts decreases rapidly from 201 V and the lower the voltage gets the slower it changes. Over 10 minutes it lowered to 0.12 V, then the TV worked for a few seconds again in which the vs went back up to 201. After a few seconds it went off again and the voltage drop followed the same pattern.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Sounds like you have a bad power supply then, it will be need to be changed at this point.

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. So does that mean replace the whole board: PSPF411701A? I've seen those online for around $200.00. Seems strange that it works when I push on the board. Is there no way to diagnose and locate the bad/loose connection?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
You can check for bad solder joints, but normally my experience is that the bad connections on this board happen inside the components where they cannot be repaired.

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I expected that it was a bad power supply board... that's why I took it out and inspected it before even contacting you guys. Was really hoping that you could do more than just confirm that the board is bad and identify a typical component to replace. Last time I used justanswer.com to fix my Sony TV power supply, you guys identified a couple of typically bad IC's, I replaced them and it corrected the problem. So this time, it appears that you are telling me that the Samsung boards don't have any probable causes for these symptoms. O.K.
So it appears that quality is important with these boards. Where and what do you recommend that I buy for a new board?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, but that board there is not component level repair, I wish it was because it would make for much cheaper repairs. I would recommend www.encompassparts.com never had any problems with their boards.

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
The guy only confirmed that the power board on my Samsung was indeed bad. I knew that much. I've seen that my problem is common and have even seen the same question at justanswer.com. This guy doesn't indicate knowledge of such and when I ask for where and what board to buy he only returns with a website that turns out does not recognize my part number.
A year ago I used justanswer.com to repair my Sony and you guys were great. You told me the IC's to replace, what to buy and where and even how to remove and replace... that was awesome. This time you guys are not awesome. Just tell me what to buy to replace my board.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I clicked the "Not satisfied with you Expert?" link and submitted the following to what sounded like would be another technician. Here is what I submitted with no response yet:
Relist: Answer quality.

So I have problem in that I need to replace my power board and you want tell me that yes I do have a bad board, don't know how to fix, suggest you buy a new... Good luck with that and don't forget to pay me my $30. It says that satisfaction is guaranteed... well I am not satisfied. I still have the same problem and am still not sure that the board can't be fixed. Might buy a new board with more help. As of yet, I am not satisfied.
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for sticking with us as we help to identify the problem in your set.

I think the issue in this matter is partially the availability of service manuals.

Every service manual to every set ever produced is likely nobody has... as they run $40+ each... and replacing components on boards is really not recommended for a "hobbyist" with a soldering iron. Most repair shops use hot air solder "guns" for board repairs - as to not affect surrounding components, and unless you have one - I would also recommend board replacement.... or taking the board to your local shop who will replace select components for a minimal charge.

Since when you push on the main connector - there could be a dry solder joint there (cracked)... or trace failure. I would also look for the #1 point of failure - capacitors failure - searching for bulging or ruptured ones to replace.

Without the unit fully assembled, and testing each component's thoroughfare with an oscilloscope - board failure diagnosis cannot be done on a component level with a multimeter. The fact that you checked for the presence of voltage between Va and Vs indicates you probably do not own an oscilloscope. Perhaps taking the entire set for a QUOTE would be acceptable? This way - proper testing can be done to determine the actual fault - and then you can still do the repairs yourself. (just an idea).

You have the board part number already posted in your original question. Were you looking for a source on purchasing a replacement?

I'm sourcing a schematic for you from a colleague, and will post when I have it.

Hope this explains our position a little better - and as always - if you have additional - Just Ask.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no reason for you guys presume that I don't have _____ instead of asking. Yes, I can replace components on the board for I have access to the necessary equipment you mentioned. I am not an electrician but am pretty sure that more can be done even it is just heat spotting the solders near the heat sinks.

I found on ebay a repair kit for this power board that comes with 6 replacement components. The selling company is a TV repair shop and claims that most problems associated with certain symptoms (including mine) are due to one of these 6 components being bad. It seems like you guys should know these 6 components and which it likely is for my symptom. You guys just don't seem to have the experience to provide me with information to fix the problem. Even when you recommend to replace the board you don't help with the obviously necessary decision of what and where is a good buy. If you can't help me fix the problem (and can only confirm that I do have the problem that I claimed to begin with of a bad power board) then you shouldn't take my money.

This continues to be fustrating. At this point I find it quite inconvenient that you offer an "Accept Answer" button but do not offer a "Reject Answer" button or even procedures to reject an answer

Above on this very webpage under "What happens next" set three says

"3. Decide if you want to pay your Expert Your personal deposit remains in your JustAnswer account until you decide to spend or withdraw it. Satisfaction is fully guaranteed!"

How does one decide to withdraw it?

Expert:  bluextc89 replied 3 years ago.

You simply contact customer service. That information was provided in the Terms of service you accepted.

Good luck.