Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

My Sony bravia turns on and then immediately shuts off. The

My Sony bravia turns on and then immediately shuts off. The standby button starts blinking red 13 times before it do I fix this so the tv turns on? I've already tried unplugging the power cord but that didn't work.
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

- What's the full model number? This would be on the back panel.

Kindest regards,
Dan T.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's a KDL40xbr5.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thanks. The 13 blinks you're seeing is indicative of a balancer board (aka inverter) malfunction. The inverter is the circuit that supplies power to the CCFLs in the screen... but there's a chance it could be the CCFLs themselves, too. It's tough to tell for sure which is at fault without electrical testing or replacing the balancer. If you want to replace it yourself, you'd be looking at about $120 for the part... ordering number would be 1-789-838-11 ( If you want to take that route, let me know... I can send you some replacement instructions. Else, you might consider contacting a technician. You'd be looking at $50-$75 for some diagnostics... but that would be put toward the final bill should you decide to have it repaired. Total bill should run $250-$350, unless it's the panel... then repair wouldn't be cost effective.

Please click ACCEPT (even if you're a trial or subscription member) if you are 100% satisfied with my answer and plan on leaving me positive feedback (your acceptance is the only way I get paid for my work). A bonus would also be appreciated!

I'm sorry if my answer wasn't what you wanted to hear, but it reflects the most honest and accurate information available. I hope you take that into account when deciding whether or not to accept and leave positive feedback.

That said, if you aren't fully satisfied please do not accept my answer. Instead, let me know what else I can do for you!

Finally, please know that accepting my answer does not mean our dialog is over... you can still post follow-up questions or comments afterward.

Kindest regards,
Dan T.