Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

Mitsubishi TV WD57831 Fan Replacement

Mitsubishi TV WD57831 Fan Replacement
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What exactly does the message say?

-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I wrote it very quickly -

What exactly does the message say? TV will shut down (shortly). Check airflow.

It has been doing this for a long time - the light bulbs rarely last 8 months.

The TV is 5-6 yrs old.

I REALLY suspect the 3" X 3" fan mounted on a housing that covers an assembly of components that are located to the left of the light bulb site, inside the rear cover. But I have no way to test the fan, and if I could, I would just replace the fan. .It appears that the fan is attached to the housing with screws from the inside the housing and it would be a major (more than I can do) disassembly to remove that housing and the component assembly.

I just want to replace the 3"X3" fan

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Actually the fan is not your issue, you have a bad thermal sensor, very common issue in your tv, it was actually covered under extended warranty for a long time by mitsubishi but they have stopped covering them as of recently, normally if you call them an complain they send someone out for around $125 to repair it for you.

If you decide to repair this yourself, you need to get a hold of mitsubishi parts department and order a new thermal sensor, part number 299P313010A the number to mitsu parts is 1-800-553-7278

The thermal sensor however is hidden behind the lamp and the lamp housing, you cannot see it without taking the engine out, if you have done it before it is easy because you know where it is and can do it by feel but it may be worth it to call mitsu customer service at 1-800-332-2119, complain and then have someone fix it for the $125 or whatever price around that they are charging.

Tim

Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.