Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech

my 42 lg plasma just quit working. I heard a kind of pop and

Customer Question

my 42" lg plasma just quit working. I heard a kind of pop and now no picture. I does turn on Is it worth fixing? Purchased in 2005
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

Jack :

Hi and thank you for using justanswer.
I`m going to help you with your tv but first i will have a few questions;

Jack :

While there is no picture,do you have sound ?

Jack :

I will wait for a while to see if you become available for chat, just send me a reply and i should be with you within a couple of minutes.

Customer:

yes. no picture from dvd either

Customer:

yes it has sound. no picture from dvd either

Jack :

Hello

Jack :

There is one circuit board in your model that is frequently the cause for that problem.

Jack :

That is the Zsustain board.

Jack :

Do you wish to look into this yourself ?

Customer:

yes

Jack :

o.k then what i can do is upload a picture of that board so you can identify it once the back cover is removed.

Jack :

Be right back

Customer:

ok then what. New board?

Jack :

Yes a new board, that board when defective is not repairable.

Jack :

Last time i looked, it cost less than $100

Customer:

where does a person purchase a board?

Jack :

I have here an address and it also has a picture of it if you want to take a look, just click the link below;
http://www.rivervalleyelectronics.net/LG_6871QZH056B_ZSUS_Z_Sustain_Plasma_TV_Board_p/6871qzh056b.htm

Jack :

That board sits on the right hand side(from the back) of the tv set.

Jack :

Just screws and plugs, no solder to replace it.

Customer:

ok thanks i will check it out. anything else?

Jack :

Not at this time but in any case you will receive an email after this chat is closed and there will be a link to get back to me anytime if you have any questions.

Customer:

thanks again. hope it works

Jack :

I can say that i am 99% sure it will work , it is a common problem for this model.

Now you can close this chat from your end with the accept button if you are satisfied with my answer and have no other questions at this time.

Jack, Technician
Experience: 35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

received board. tv STILL does not work no sound or picture

Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

Hi again.

I would make sure all the plugs and connectors are sitting in securely and also verify around that some of the other circuits didn`t get unplugged.

Even if that circuit was bad you would still have sound like you had when we first talked.

Or even if that circuit was pulled right off the tv you`d still have sound.

So please make sure nothing has been forgotten while doing the repair, it does happen easily.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok double checked everything when assembled. My mistake. Did not have sound before. I have surround system which goes to amp. then to speakers. thinking about what you said checked speakers on tv no worky. the tv does turn on (green light shows and several clicks are heard) thi8s is normal sounds. Still no sound or pic
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

Well, i have to tell you taht my diagnostic was based on the fact that you had sound and no picture, that is why it was the first question i asked and in your model it is a dead giveaway when there is sound without the picture.

Now we are probably talking about a different ball game if you would.
So perhaps some more troubleshooting could be done and that board could be returned ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Like I said "my mistake" for not checking the actual tv sound. I hope that they will take the board back. we will see. NOT your fault. ok what next?
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.
Next steps might require a meter(multimeter)
Do you happen to have one ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yep
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes i have a meter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
gotta go to bed later
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

Hi again.

When you come back and are ready, take a look at the picture below, it is your Ysustain board.
You can see that i pointed 2 fuses, i`d like you to pull them out and check them for continuity or beep them if your meter has that function.

If one of them is blown let me know but DO NOT REPLACE THEM.

We`ll take it from there.

graphic
View Full Image

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what if one is blown? Just got home and really tired. tv is back together would have to take back off again. Can you give me a senerio of steps to take? posibly tomorrow.

Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

o.k no problem, it can wait until tomorrow.

The scenario of a blown fuse would indicate a bad Ysustain board.