Jeff the TV Guy
Jeff the TV Guy, Technician
Experience:  10 years expeience in consumer electronics. 3 years experience in DLP, Plasma, and LCD repair.
17251986

My 60 inch LG Plasma HD TV is saying invalid format on the

Customer Question

My 60 inch LG Plasma HD TV is saying invalid format on the screen. I am getting audio but now no picture. I have direct tv and a receiver and I'm a technology moron. What can I do to get the picture back?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jeff the TV Guy replied 3 years ago.
Press the format button on the DirecTV remote, the resolution will change. You may need to press it about 4-5 times.

Then, after the image comes back, give me the full model number of the TV, I will tell you how to set up the menu so this never happens again, while still having the best possible picture quality.

Please let me know how it goes!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I pressed format 5-6 times and I still don't have a picture. The screen is black with a small rectangular box that says invalid format. I typically don't use the direct tv remote because I have a logitech universal remote. I paid best buy to install this. I can change the channels and get the sound for that channel I just can't get a picture. Where is the model number? The TV is mounted to the wall so the back isn't real accessible and I have no way to take it off the wall. Thank you.

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend 1 credit to view this question.
Spend 1 Credit and view all the answers to this question.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately I bought the TV a little over three years ago and we relocated 2 years ago so I don't have any paperwork. I can tell you we bought it in December 2007 it is an LG Plasma HD TV 60 inches. The Direct TV receiver is in 1080. Still no picture just invalid format.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is the model # on the back of the TV anywhere?
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not at home right now. I can't get the TV off the wall to do anything so I don't know how I would change the cables and with the receiver and DVD player hooked up to and really don't what to hook and unhook. I don't know what composite cables are. Sorrry I don't understand this type of thing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I found the owner's manual. It is for two different 60" plasma models. The model numbers are 60PY3D and 60PY3DF. All of the cables go directly into the wall and then back through a hole behind the TV. Any thoughts? Thanks. I will pay you for your time but would appreciate any additional help you can provide.
I am not worried about getting paid, my first goal is to resolve your issue. If, after it is resolved, you are 100% satisfied, then I would gladly accept payment.

Well, you bought the top of the line(or close to it) 3 years ago, both models are 1080p compatible.

What happens when you try to play the DVD?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. I still get invalid format and no signal messages on the screen. Screen is black with the small blue box that says either invalid format or no signal.
I think you may have defective parts inside your TV.

You are going to need a professional to service the TV, and take it off the wall.

It may be as simple as a small board, or it could be more than one.

I would expect the repair, including parts, labor and trip charge to be well over $500.

Please give me your zip code so I can find a reputable shop in your area.