Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

if i have a continuous red blinking light on my sony lcd projection

Customer Question

if i have a continuous red blinking light on my sony lcd projection t.v. is it a serious problem, or can it be repaired
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Is it green or red?

-Does the light blink a code? (example 6 blinks pause 6 blinks pause repeat)

-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is a continuously red blinking light (no code, no pause). The unit is 5 years old, but has not been moved or jostled. There was a "pop" that sounded like someone broke a light bulb when the problem began...
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

There is a very good chance that we have a bad lamp here. Which is about the best case for you.

Do you still have your owners manual? If so there are instructions on how to remove the lamp. I think the first thing we should do here is take it out and inspect it. We might find that it is shattered and know without a doubt that it needs to be replaced.

If you do not have you owners manual let me know and I will get you instructions on how to change the lamp.

Also if you don't know about the lamps in these sets here is some information: These lamps are a "consumer replaceable item" meaning they are made for you to change. This is similar to changing a light bulb in a lamp but allot more expensive and a little more difficult. These lamps last on average anywhere from 1 to 3 years before they need to be changed. They also burn out based upon the number of hours the tv is on and the number of times the tv is turned on in its life. The more you watch the tv the faster the lamp will burn out, and the more you turn the tv on and off the faster it will burn out. There is really no way to prolong the life of a lamp other than not watch the tv, so most people don't worry about it to much and just expect for this to happen ever couple of years.

If you have the owner's manual, follow the instructions and remove the lamp, tell me what you see. If you don't have it let me know and I will get you the instructions to remove it.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan