Steve, Technician
Experience:  Over 40 years experience ISCET Certified in Biomedical & Consumer Electronics

white dots are appearing on my mitsubishi dlp projection tv,

white dots are appearing on my mitsubishi dlp projection tv, i'm getting more dots every day, whats causing these dots?..if repair is required how much will it cost?
Hello, are these white dots about the size of a pencil lead?

Are they on all inputs and the TV menu, and always in the same places?

What is the purchase date of the TV? (or close guess)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

white dots are in the same place..size of lead pencil..i thnk its one pixel size..purchase date 8/06/2007...they are in all inputs and tv menus...when i turn off the tv, before the screen comletely turns off, the white dots are still there.

Okay, thank you. Unfortunately, I do not have good news... The problem you are seeing is caused by "stuck" mirrors on the DMD (digital micromirror device) in the optical engine. I have seen this problem on Mitsubishi and many other brands of DLP TVs, as well. Perhaps Texas Instruments (the maker of the DMD) had a bad batch at one time (?).

Each spot (pixel) that you view in the picture is made by a single mirror moving back and forth on the DMD. In total, there are over a million of these tiny mirrors, and the white spots you see are those mirrors that have stuck in the "On" position. Most of these I have seen are a bit elongated, so I suspect two (or more) mirrors have actually stuck to one another. Here are two images to help show what happens on the DMD:

To correct this problem the optical engine in the TV must be replaced. However, the repair cost is quite high: The Mitsubishi replacement retails for $1014.10, plus shipping, tax, and labor. Usually labor is in the $200-300 range (in my area). If needed, the part number for the optical engine is: 938P075020. You may be able to find less expensive optical engines on the internet, but these engines could be a gamble, so please use caution if shopping for a lower price.

I recommend contacting Mitsubishi Consumer Relations at(NNN) NNN-NNNNto ask (emphatically insist) that they cover the cost of the repair. They may very well supply the optical engine at no charge, with you paying the labor; but, it doesn't hurt to keep trying for the labor cost, too. Please remember you paid a premium price for a premium brand TV that has lasted only four years (!). You may need to be insistent, and make several calls, but Mitsubishi is well known for being very helpful (hint).

Important: Usually Mitsubishi requires one of their authorized servicers to check the TV on-site first, before they will offer a concession (even though they will already know exactly what is wrong with it). Usually Mitsubishi requires a written estimate and a copy of the bill of sale faxed to them to review (the representative will give the specific fax number).

If needed, your nearest authorized Mitsubishi servicer can be found by entering your information on this page:

This may not have been what you were wanting to hear, but this is the truthful answer. If I can be of further help by offering more information about this, please let me know. Remember to click "Accept," and please remember also: you can still return to this page for more information at a later time.