Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

How to hook up Vizio sound bar to Samsung TV?

The Samsung would not provide an audio output if its A/V source is connected by HDMI. This is not a fault nor a connection issue, but rather a limitation imposed on HDMI connected devices as an implementation of HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection), for copyright protection.
The proposed workaround / connection method would be from the DirecTV DVR (depending on the model) to the Sound bar, either optical cable (S/PDIF) or red & white RCA to RCA (INPUT 1 or 2).

Read full interaction below »

Question

I am trying to hook up a Vizio sound bar to a 48" Samsung Hi definition TV. I cannot get any sound. The remote moves the volume up and down on the sound bar but doesn't move the volume on the TV. I can get the lights and the blue light. I have it connected to audio input 1 (white to white and red to red). It just isn't making the connection from the TV through the sound bar?

Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 6 years ago.

Post back with the model numbers of the Vizio Sound bar and the Samsung HDTV. Additionally, is the Samsung directly connected to an antenna or cable feed, or is a cable box used? If there is a cable box, is it connected by HDMI?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It is a Vizio sound bar model is VSB200. My Samsung is the Series 610/630. It is connected with an HDMI cable to Direct TV DVR.

Expert:  Louie replied 6 years ago.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I hooked it up thru the direct TV DVR and still no sound coming thru the sound bar
Expert:  Louie replied 6 years ago.

I understand.
The model number of the DirecTV DVR please?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
HR-24 200
Expert:  Louie replied 6 years ago.

With the optical cable connected to the HR24-200, is there a red light at the end of the optical cable? Please do not look at it directly.
With the optical cable from the HR24-200 connected to the VSB200, have you tried pressing on the Vizio's INPUT button a couple of times to select Optical In?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, I've tried pressing the Vizio input button several times but it doesn't work. I'm thinking, maybe there is an audio adjustment I should make on my Samsung TV to allow it to accept or recognize the new Vizio sound bar. I'm going to try working through the remote control to see if there is a setting I can change. I'm at work now so won't be able to work with it until 6pm (PST).

Expert:  Louie replied 6 years ago.

The above proposed connection would be:

• HR24-200 using HDMI to the Samsung TV;
  • HR24-200 using optical cable to the Vizio Soundbar.

You may have to inquire from DTV if the firmware version of the HR24-200 would allow simultaneous output on HDMI and optical.

If:

• Samsung TV using optical cable to the Vizio Soundbar

Then multi-channel audio would not work. The Samsung's optical would provide multi-channel audio only if the Samsung is directly connected to an antenna or a cable feed; i.e. it is in TV mode receiving digital HDTV signals.

The TV however would provide 2 channel audio on its DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (
OPTICAL) if an external source is connected to it by HDMI.

graphic

Still, to enable audio output on the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL):

• press MENU;
  • select Sound;
  • select Speaker;
  • select External Speaker;
  • set TV Speaker: Off, External Speaker: On.

There may be variations in the implementation of the above steps depending on the firmware version of the TV