Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

my dynex tv wont turn on. The red light is on. This has

my dynex tv won't turn on. The red light is on. This has happened a few times before and the tv would work after unplugging and replugging the tv. That solution hasn't helped this time.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

Jack :

Hi and thank you for using justanswer.
I`m going to help you with your tv but first i will have a few questions;

Jack :

You are saying that this problem has been there for a while now ?
Getting worse everyday ?

Jack :

Is that red light flashing at the front ?

Jack :

Also, Could you please lookup your tv`s model number located on the back cover ?

Jack :

I will wait for a while to see if you become available for chat, just send me a reply and i should be with you within a couple of minutes.

Customer:

This has happened before, maybe 3 times over the past month, but by no means on a regular basis

Customer:

The red light is on but not flashing

Customer:

the model is DX-32L150A11

Jack :

O.k thank you
There is not much info on your model so this may require a bit of troubleshooting.

Jack :

Can you try to knock or tap the sides and rear of the tv then try to turn it on ?
I know this may seem basic but the idea is to see if perhaps there might be a loose connection inside the set.

Customer:

I'll give it a shot

Customer:

tried it, sorry, no luck

Jack :

Did you try to unplug it 5 minutes or so today ?

Customer:

Yes, for over an hour

Jack :

The first two circuits to suspect in your case is; the power supply circuit and the main board, if you want to take a look inside , i have pictures of those boards.

Jack :

I would have a few components for you to look at.

Customer:

cool, so first I remove the back of the TV?

Jack :

That would be the first thing yes

Jack :

what i can do is switch this chat to standard Q&A mode and you will get an email with a link to get back to me once you are ready.

Jack :

In the mean time i will upload those pictures.

Customer:

sweet

Jack :

Talk to you soon and check your emails in a few

Jack, Technician
Experience: 35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

We are now in Q&A mode.

Here is the first circuit, that is the power supply board.

You`ll see that i circled some capacitors, i`d like you to look at them closely to see if any of them appear to have a rounded/swollen top compare to others.

Their tops should be perfectly flat.

Here it is;

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They all have a flat top
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

o.k then here is your main board, i`d like you to try and pull out and back in all the connectors on it, same thing on the power circuit .

graphic

If you removed the stand in order to remove the back cover, you can re-install it temporarily and stand up the tv.

Plug it in and push on the connectors while you try to turn it on.

Edited by Jack on 2/20/2011 at 8:13 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can this shock me,even though it's unplugged?
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

No problem, this is not like the old tv sets that kept voltages charged in the picture tube.

If you`re not crazy about the idea then you could put on some rubber gloves.

Just keep on hand off the metal chassis while you`re working with the other one.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Great, pardon my ignorance, but what exactly are the connectors and will i need any tools to remove them?
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

The connectors are the plugs that connect with wires to the circuit board and usually you can just pull them off and on by hand although some of them might have a clip that you need to squeeze in order to unlock them.

By the way; do you have a voltmeter ??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Afraid I don't have a voltmeter. Some of the connectors, the long white rectangular ones are really stiff and not coming out, do I need to make sure those ones are unplugged?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Forget that last question, I was able to get them unplugged. Now I'll try plugging them back in and pushing on the connectors while I try to turn it on
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

Sorry was a bit busy.

Some of those connectors might be stiff to come out, if they don`t want to come its o.k let them be and just make sure they are pushed in securely.

You don`t want to pull too hard on the wiring and break any !!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Unplugged and reinstalled the connectors, then pushed on them while I tried to turn in the tv. Nada.
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

Well, then i`m afraid the next steps would be to measure the voltages coming in and out of the power supply circuit .

If i was shure enough of the power supply being defective, i would give you an address where you could get it but without measurements i cannot be positive on that.

It could be your main board who is defective just as well.