Steve
Steve, Technician
Experience:  Over 40 years experience ISCET Certified in Biomedical & Consumer Electronics

Mitsubishi TV HDTV projection 65 inch power lite blinking and

Customer Question

Mitsubishi TV HDTV projection 65 inch power lite blinking and tv will not turn on even after unplugging power and plugging power cord back in? Help please
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Hello, please post the model number found on the back of the TV?

Does the green light flash quickly, but never stops?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Model number WS-65511 and green light blinking on and off quickly after power failure

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Okay, thank you. Have there been any previous repairs, or any other problems in the past?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
NO
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Okay, thank you. Unfortunately, the problem can not be reliably corrected without repairing the set. If it would be helpful, however, I can provide information on the cause, a possible temporary solution, and the steps needed to repair the set. Please let me know whether or not this type of information would be acceptable.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Okay, thank you. Please allow me a short time to gather some information for you. Perhaps 10-15 minutes...
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for waiting. When the timer light continues to flash and never stops, this indicates the digital module (DM) in the TV is not booting up... usually caused by seven bad (weak) capacitors inside the module. These gradually failing parts usually first show as bad after the TV loses power; but, eventually they will fail on their own, too. Replacing these parts is usually all it takes to get the TV working again.

These capacitors have always had power applied to them whenever the TV had power (whether it was turned on or not), so they have stayed warm and working. When the TV lost power, these parts "cooled down" and were not good enough to work when the power came back on. This is a very common problem in this model TV.

If you were to keep the TV plugged in, and push System Reset periodically (every five minutes or so), it may eventually boot up and turn on (these are borderline bad parts). But the next time the power flickers, it will do exactly the same thing. Eventually the problem will get worse until it will not boot up again (which may be now).

Hopefully these parts will build up enough to work one more time. If it does start working again, please remember to save or print this information for later when you need it. Unfortunately, this is the best option to try without repairing the TV.

If you would like to do the repair, the DM and the capacitors to change are shown in the photos below. You would need soldering equipment and experience in component level repair to change these parts. The capacitors are all 1000uf 16V at 105C. Capacitors with a higher voltage rating are preferred, space permitting.

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

If you would rather have an on-site technician replace these, the labor should be in the $200 range (in my area, depending on location). The parts cost should be $35.00 or less. Most servicers will know of this problem and can usually repair it in your home in about an hour. You may also want to compare prices with more than one shop before committing to a service call, since you now know what is involved in the repair.

When you call your servicer, please reference Mitsubishi bulletin: VS-76. Your Mitsubishi servicer will know exactly what the problem is and what to bring for the repair.

If needed, your nearest authorized Mitsubishi servicer can be found by entering your information on this page:

http://direct.where2getit.com/cwc/apps/w2gi.php?template=search_new&client=mitsuservicer#?mid=174138

Even if the TV does eventually boot up and turn on, please remember to save or print this information for later when you need it: the problem will keep recurring until these bad parts are replaced.

This may not have been what you were wanting to hear, but this is the truthful answer. If I can be of further help by offering more information about this, please let me know. Remember to click "Accept," and please remember: you can still return to this page for more information at a later time.

Edited by Steve on 2/20/2011 at 5:33 AM EST