Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I am havining trouble hooking up my antenna for my 37 LG (37LG50).

Customer Question

I am havining trouble hooking up my antenna for my 37" LG (37LG50). I have another tv in the house with a converter box on it and it works fine. When I search for channels I dont find any and it says no signal....any suggestions?
Thanks
Category: TV
Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.

How are you getting the signal from the antenna to the LG TV? Are you using a splitter or a different coax feed?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No splitter, coax cable runs straight into tv from the antenna.
Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.

It is the same/straight run that you used for the TV with the converter? If so, on the autoscan menu, ensure you have Antenna selected, not cable. The menu is confusing, you need to set the bar down to antenna and the cable connection/symbol should be grayed out.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No they are not both connected at the same time but the same cable from the tv with the converter is what im using now to ensure that I have a good connection. And yes I do have it on antenna.
Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.

What is your zip code, I need to check the strongest signal for your area to do and experiment.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
53538
Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.

I checked the FCC signal strength maps and almost all of your stations are from Madison - all indicated as moderate (vs good) signal reception - for an outdoor antenna at 30 feet.

The strongest, based on transmitting frequency (all of your digital stations are now UHF) would be channel 27-1 - for the experiment, manually enter that channel and see if you get any reception. Sometimes a scan will not pick up a station, but you can enter the channel and get reception.

If that works, you may have to enter your channels manually. The tuner in the TV is not "strong" enough to detect the station on scanning - not all tuners are created equal.

If you still have problems, even with manual entry, then you may have a faulty tuner - your only alternative would be to use the converter box, but of course you will not get true 720P signal from the over the air broadcasts.

I do not know of your antenna type or height, but if you have only been using the digital converter box this past winter, you will notice signal problems in the summer if it is not optimal gain for your location (and height) - as summer foliage will also attenuate the signals more in the summer.

Let me know if the manual entry works.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've got nothing.

Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.

There is not much I can do for you, as I believe the tuner is faulty, or the signal strength is not sufficient for the tuner to detect the signal.

I will opt out.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks anyways.

Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for your patience. Should you still need assistance...

Initially, please help me visualize the system:
  • 1 antenna;
  • 2 coaxial cables connected to it;
  • coax A goes to converter box then to TV1;
  • coax B goes to the LG;
  • coax A + converter box + TV1 has good reception;
  • coax B + LG has no reception;
  • coax A + LG has no reception.

Additionally, is the antenna passive or is it active (with built-in preamplifier/booster)?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1 antenna to tv -A- w/converter box w/ good reception. I disconnected that to ensure a good connection and hooked up to LG and cannot get anything. Antenna ha a built in power booster. It is a straight shot from antenna to tv no splitter.
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
The existence of a booster is very significant. For the booster to work, it has to be supplied with power. If the antenna booster has no AC wall adapter, then most likely, the booster receives its power from the converter box (depending on the model) through the coaxial cable.

Moving the coax to the LG would remove the power to the booster (from the converter) hence the antenna would not work.

Proposed workaround is to use a splitter that has a DC pass-through or power pass. The pass-through would allow power from the converter to reach the booster. In turn, the booster is active and feeds the splitter a stronger signal which is then made available to both TVs hrough 2 coaxial cables.

An ordinary splitter would not work. Please click here to view a power pass splitter.